TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Trans Stuck In 5th Gear?  (Read 2492 times)

BlewitUp

Trans Stuck In 5th Gear?
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »

It seems others have had the same issue but I have searched a few times, between the 25 second delays, and I can't find any threads...

What's the deal with this?  It goes into all gears fine.  It comes out of 1-4 fine at any speed.  If I have it in 5th gear and come up to a light and try and shift it out of 5 below ~15mph I have to pay hell to get it out.  Including trying to take off in 5th just to load it then yank it out as I am letting off the accelerator.  It comes out fine if I am above 40.  I should note that speed of the car has little effect.  Its really the speed of the trans.  Another example is at 45mph, if I hold the clutch long enough I can get it stuck but if I let the clutch out bring the trans up to speed and then push it back in, I can slip it out of 5th no problem.

Pilot bearing on the way out?  Any other ideas?

I just put in a new slave cylinder and its shifting perfectly accept trying to leave 5th and this was starting before that.

Thanks guys.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Trans Stuck In 5th Gear?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »

That's quite an odd issue.

What kind of fluid do you have in the transmission? Is it fresh? Proper level?

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2105.msg19218.html#msg19218 

Here is another one with the same problem (I assume).

I am going to check that this weekend and use some zipties for replacement shifter linkage busings.  I am wondering if the shifter is just THAT sloppy.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:05 AM »

Don't bother with the zipties, the shifter bushings are dirt cheap & available from your local NAPA. The part # is floating around here somewhere.

Worn bushings, if it is THAT sloppy, could cause this issue. I've heard of people having trouble getting into reverse with worn bushings as well
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »

I guess I gotta wonder about someone who doesn't know the shifter is sloppy.  Although I guess if your car has always been sloppy you just might not know any better. 

In any gear, your left and right shifter movement should be an inch or less.  Yes, if the bushings are shot,  getting out of gear is sloppy, but that isn't the usual complaint, its just getting into gear is 'experimental'.

I gotta say at one point my first Capri, a 93 na, started getting stiff getting into first gear.  It took real effort to push into gear, almost to the point of worrying about breaking something off.  Within a few months it worked itself out, I never knew what the issue was...Chris