TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Makes me shudder  (Read 2142 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
Makes me shudder
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »

well- it makes my car shudder.  Need your thoughts -

91 na automatic.  after I've been driving for 5 to 10 minutes and I pull up to a stop light, the engine rpms drop down momentarily to 600 or so.  The car shudders (like it is possessed by a demon) as though it is deciding whether or not to stall, then the rpms recover to about 900/1000 and everything is good.  Sometimes the car will repeat this cycle a couple of times before deciding it really doesn't want to stall and it settles in around 900/1000 rpms. 

I am aware that the car has (what I would characterize as) a small oil drip.  However, during this shuddering episode, I don't hear the valve clatter that might indicate that the engine is oil starved.  That said, the oil pressure is always low (20-30ish) after the car warms up.

I'm not losing any sleep over this.  The car runs out fine otherwise.  The "stoplight DTs" are a bit annoying/concerning.  What does the TeamCapri brain trust think?

grant   
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

cjr806

• 92 capri xr2
Re: Makes me shudder
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »

I'm new to these cars and haven't done too much research on them, but my jeep had a similar problem and it was the fuel filter....

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Makes me shudder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »

Check the dashpot on the throttlebody. Make sure it's sticking down far enough - or not too far. Sometimes if it's down too far, it can cause idle fluctuations.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"