TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: How do you disconnect the throttle cable from the pedal?  (Read 3062 times)

blueamber

How do you disconnect the throttle cable from the pedal?
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

Help?...Chris

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

That one is B ITCH on the Capri. Unless you are a contortionist or have a unusually high level of patience...take the dash out.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »

The firewall plug is the worst, it rarely comes out as one piece. If you're replacing the cable, just pry it out. The bullet on the accelerator pedal just slides into a slot IIRC

Getting it out in one piece, now that's a chore
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

Actually I found an fairly easy way to remove the firewall plug.

My new project has cruise control, but previous owner replaced the busted throttle cable with a non-cruise cable.

I have a parts car with a good cruise cable setup.  In the parts car, the cable disconnected from the pedal with just a little tug, BUT the firewall plug seemed daunting.  I put a 16mm 6 sided LONG socket over the plug and the bit of cable.  Using the pedal as a lever, it pushed the socket tight onto the plug, and it popped right out!  The socket sides compressed the tabs...just luck!

The project car is the bitch.  The plug that fits into the pedal just won't budge.  It just doesn't slide into a slot, its captured in a round hole with a slot just big enough for the cable to slide through.  I need much smaller hands, or a small tool, or???  If I give up, I'll mangle the firewall plug and shove a screwdriver through to push that pedal plug out, but just hoping someone else had some insight...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

The socket trick, now that is nifty. I'll try that next time.

Every time I've had to disconnect the cable itself from the pedal, it came off relatively easy. Is there any room to get a screwdriver up there for pry it apart a bit?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »

Done!  I finally just worked through the pain and pushed the plug out of the pedal with my soft, flabby finger tips... I used to play guitar and had hard finger-tips on my left hand, gotta get back into that...Chris