TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Brand New Capri Owner Needs Guidance  (Read 5220 times)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Brand New Capri Owner Needs Guidance
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »

Hello everybody, I am the proud new owner of a 1994 Capri that I purchased from an old friend. The car is a project car and has sat for several years. After I towed it home, I simply replaced the battery and the oil, and it started right up. That being said, there are many issues with the car that need addressing.
First off, what sort of service/repair manuals are available for this car and where can I get them? I haven't found anything by Haynes or Chilton.
My second question: how similar is this car to the Mazda 323? What major components are shared?
And third: my next task with the car is to drain the fuel tank, how is this accomplished on this model? Is there a drain cock or must I use a hand pump to remove the fuel?
Any help is greatly appreciated and I am very excited to dive into this project!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Brand New Capri Owner Needs Guidance
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »

Hi Kell, welcome to the group.  You sound like you're starting at the same place I did last summer.  There is a drain plug at the bottom of the gas tank that makes getting the rotten gas out.  Be sure to replace the fuel filter and replacing the gas pump sock is also a good idea.  You can access the pump easily under the back seat though an access panel in the floor.  There are online manuals available at capritech, but so far it seems most of the time when I look up something, it isn't there.  Soon after getting mine going, I've replaced the alternator, water pump, oil pump, power steering pump and their belts.  Mostly bearings gone bad.  Strangely, the cam belt was new.  The platform is Mazda 323 and the body is Australian Ford.  Hope this helps and if I've given some incorrect information please correct me.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »

Here is the actual link for the service manual http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/
and yes the motor and trans is that of a 323, with the exception of where a few things are mounted and the suspension is a little different and what not. use the search bar here on the forums there's tons of information. you'll soon realize these cars are fairly easy to work on  :)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »

My tank didn't have a drain. It ran for a month or so after I purchased it before I noticed a problem. Changing the fuel filter I noticed a brown sludge coming out of it. After inspecting the tank from under the back seat I found my tank was severely rusted.
Do a search on the forum. I forget now but I believe there is one company on eBay that has a reasonably priced new lifetime warranty tank. It is exact in shape and dimensions. The only thing it's missing from OEM is a mount strap for a rollover vent solenoid. That thing is easily hung with a cable tie. Make sure it's upright and all is well. Other that all hose fittings are correct.
I undercoated the new tank while it was still clean.
Spend a little extra and buy a quality pump. I think I got mine off Amazon that was made in China. It was a fit but was missing the upper connection parts like the short hose and clamps. Some others include that stuff. Again not positive but I think it was an Airtex brand. Be careful with the pump sock filter too. You'll see long and short ones. You want the short one as the pump assembly sits at an angle. Observe your old setup when you inspect the tank. This fuel pump on this car does not cycle a couple seconds in the key on position. It only runs in the start and while engine running mode. There is a test plug on the passenger firewall. I think it's the green plug. Jump the two connectors to run the fuel pump.

A couple other tips... make sure your electric radiator fan works properly. Check all your coolant hoses as they are bad to dry rot. There is a metal pipe running on the driver's side with a few coolant hoses coming off it. The little one under the distributor on mine broke and cost me a warped head repair. We had another member with the same problem. So inspect them hoses good. The head warps easy if overheated. All hoses are readily available. There's a couple you have to improvise with similar shapes like on the IAC. The only difficult hose to find is the lower radiator hose but many impossible to find parts can be found at Roo-sport.com.

Plenty of good info on this forum. If you can't find a thread then post and someone will help.

Another tip is this car is bad about the under hood harness connections are prone to moisture and corrosion. The same with the ground straps. Make it a project to clean your grounds and connectors. A dab of dielectric grease will keep future moisture out.

Headlight motors are easily repaired. The brushes are usually still good. They just need a good cleaning and regressed. So don't run out and buy one if you don't have to. Plenty of how to posts on the forum.

The water pump is behind the timing belt so you might as well change both when the time comes. If the car is near 100,000 then I would consider that project if you don't know the history.

The car is easy and fun to work on. A little different engineering but some members are very knowledgeable and helped me a bunch. I've built many Ford's and Chevys over the years but this car is a wee bit different coming from down under. :)

I found the manual helpful at TechCapri. Its an almost complete Ford shop manual. Its missing a few chapters but most what you need is there. I have it all downloaded on my phone. It makes it easy to view at the car.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »

Thanks so much for all the advice! I couldn't find a drain on the underside of the car so I decided to just open the tank from the top and siphon out the old gas. It was a great oppurtunity to inspect the health of the system, and all seems well. I haven't found any rust, and the pump sounds good. I couldn't identify the "sock" though. Is that another same for the in-tank fuel filter?

The information on the lights is helpful because indeed I have one stuck lamp, hopefully can get to that soon.

Otherwise, things are looking good, on the list is:
replacing all brake pads and rotors
replacing both front CV half shafts
coolant flush/replace hoses

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »

Rocketman has a good thread on here for the headlight motors. Clean up the copper rotary switch contacts. Then the gears under the side cover needs inspection. On mine the old grease was dried out. I cleaned it out and used white lithium grease. Haven't had a problem since.

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2961.0.html

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »

X2  Good instruction that easily gives you the confidence to dive in.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »

Is there any way to install Miata parts on the Capri? I'm not finding much in the way of performance suspension parts made for the Capri.

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »

You can find suspension info on this site by typing "shocks" into the search field at the top of the page. I replaced my shocks, and there is info about KYB shocks and other brands. You will see that the front shocks are direct replacement with, I believe, the Mazda 323.

Rubber hoses dry out, and crack. Replacing the rubber vacuum hoses is important, as well as other rubber hoses.  You can remove one from the charcoal canister (the black can right in front of the passenger side at the strut tower) and take the hose into an auto parts store to make sure you have the correct size hose. 

Be very very careful when you remove any hose from any component along the firewall. I believe the third one from the passenger side is the Canister Purge Solenoid.  It has a plastic connector (two hoses come on it from what I remember; on on top from the canister, two below to other places).  These small units (sensors and the solenoid) can have plastic connectors.  Over years, the hoses dry and stick to the nipple onto which the hose will slide. If you are not careful, you will break off the nipple of the nipple while removing the hose. You might have to use an exaxto knive to slice the hose along the area where the nipple was inserted. Do not tug and pull and tug and twist. The hose is prob baked onto the unit. You will break something.

I know because I broke off the bottom nipple of the Cannister Purge Solenoid, and had to get another one from Russ. Dont want you to have that "Oh, s@$#"  feeling when something breaks.

They will sell you hose by the foot in length. Just cut the piece needed to the length of the old hose. Make sure you use some dab of lubricant of some type on the nipple before you push/twist on the new hose.

Be care