TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Car Horn Issues  (Read 1068 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Car Horn Issues
« on: November 10, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to doing electrical work and was hoping someone who has done this job before can lend some advice..

My horn mysteriously stopped working, I've been able to determine that the clock spring is probably not the issue (no dash lights are on, and I can hear the relay click when pressing the horn switches). I am not able to get a voltage reading at the green/red wires that connect to the horn itself. So I'm wondering if there is some actuator for the high current circuit that could be the culprit? I've already checked all my fuses and they are okay (still need to quickly test the horns themselves), but I've read that there is some connector behind the steering wheel that is responsible for completing the relay circuit? Is that true? If so, roughly where is it located and what is the easiest way to get to it?

Thanks!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Car Horn Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 07:09:50 PM »

There is a set of pogo pins contacting a slipring behind the steering wheel that conducts the horn signal from the steering wheel.
If you are hearing the relay click under the hood, the pogo pins/slipring is operating correctly.

The OEM relay is really a piece of garbage, I have had to replace them on a number of my capris. It is not a weather-tight design and the plastic base of the relay usually degrades.
You can use a universal 12v 5-pin relay in place of the OEM relay.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:20:41 PM »

Thanks! That is good news. My relay is actually not stock though. The previous owner must have replaced it because they rigged up some Hyundai relay with e-tape. The horns are very rusty so that could be the problem I suppose...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 07:25:00 PM »

Your problem is somewhere between the relay and the horn, if you're not getting power at the horn.
Verify that there is power coming out of the relay. Might be handy to have a helper while you probe with a multimeter.
Given the relay has been replaced I'd look at whatever wiring was done to replace the relay and go from there.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 05:30:50 AM »

You do have another option here, if you don't mind losing the steering wheel horn buttons. This way will save you from having to diagnose anything. Just make a new circuit. Get a momentary on/off switch, drill a hole somewhere in the dash to mount it. Make sure you run power through a relay before going to the horns. It's a super simple circuit, should be able to google a basic schematic.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 08:09:37 AM »

Clean and grease your grounds, there are seven, under the hood. On a car I am restoring, over half the problems I was experiencing was due to corroded grounds.
Jack Byrd

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »

Thanks guys! I ended up taking apart the wiring all the way back to the relay, testing each part as I went along. Turns out the contacts were very corroded and things started working again after giving them a good clean.