TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: replacing oil pressure sensing unit  (Read 3096 times)

remart

• 1991 XR2
replacing oil pressure sensing unit
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »

Top'o the morning, hope someone can help me. While back a mechanic said my oil pressure unit was leaking so I got one. This weekend I am replacing valve cover gasket and doing oil change......finally found where the unit is. My problem is how to get the little stinker out? I found one of my husbands sockets that fit over the new one but there is no way it can fit over the installed one.  Is there a special way to go at it? Appreciate any helpfull clues. I drive a 1991 xr2 .  since its summer and not rainning here in the great NW, next is replacing the top!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:26:57 PM by remart »

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Re: replacing oil pressure sensing unit
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »

Hey remart! Welcome to TeamCapri! I've never replaced the sending unit, so can't help you there...But I noticed you are in Vancouver, WA!! I'm in Vancouver also, we should get together sometime for a little cruise!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »

What unit did you buy to replace it?

Have a look at this thread here: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2876.0.html

"Capri-Bill" also gives a rundown of the replacement procedure in this post in that thread: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2876.msg125003.html#msg125003
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

remart

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »

Rocketman,
I don't really recognize anything on the body of the unit that would be a part number, but it is stamped VDO  made in Germany. The nut on the bottom threads is stamped 6-93 and 890A90 290AB. Looks alot like the old one in the car. If it is wrong, the only problem would be no pressure reading.....right? Car would still run just fine?

Tonlaw71,
Do you know of any reputable mechanics out here? I get quoted redicules prices for repairs (not sure if its because I'm a gal).  Years ago I gave up and bought a 1992 shop manuel and attempt most myself. Thanks to this site I saved $145 and replaced the shift rod bushings myself. My next project is the soft top. I have extra top frame so hope its easier to do off the car. I am surprised how many of these capris I see up here in the rain!  Hope to run into you: not literally: . What color is yours? I see a teal one and a white one like mine.

Chicken

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »

Remove completely the black bracket that is bolted to the bottom of the manifold t make some room. Use whatever ends up being the right size Channel Locks, robo grip, toungue and groove pliers..whatever you have.  Its not easy.  It is easier than doing it the hard way

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

remart

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

Thank you for the help chicken. I used a long standard screw driver and hammer to tap it loose then channel locks to get it out. Hope this one lasts!

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »

I have never taken my Capri to a mechanic, so I can't really help you there. I do all of my own work as long as I don't have to go any deeper than the valves on the motor! LOL I've done all the suspension work, helped Rocketman with pulling my motor and replacing the clutch as well as doing the big break upgrade. The shop manual is worth twice its weight in gold!!

Mine is silver at the moment, but will be dark blue here in a couple months! I'm going to be putting together a small Capri meet for later this summer, I'll keep you posted on when and where...
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\