TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Speedo Gear Stuck and Broken  (Read 3003 times)

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
Speedo Gear Stuck and Broken
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »

So, I did the drivers side half shaft today and as part of the process was going to change the gear oil over to royal Purple synthetic 80w90.  Well since it's probably the first time anyone has tried to take the speedo gear drive out to replace the fluids, it's stuck and i broke the little retaining ear off trying to free it.

So here I am searching for a replacement speedo gear and advice on how to best free the old one from the tranny case so I can fill the fluid and get her back out on the road.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

CapriXR2

Re: Speedo Gear Stuck and Broken
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »

I was in the same situation, I drained mine and used a pump to fill it from the side plug..

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »

Which side plug did you use?

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

Get a wrench down there and rotate the broken part back and forth to free it up, then use a vice grip to rotate it back and forth as you pull it out.

I broke the ear on my 93 capri driver, just shoved it back into place when I was done, the rubber o ring and friction has kept it in place for over 50k miles...Chris

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »

Thanks Chris.  That is my goal for this morning.  I'll keep everyone posted.  I did find NOS replacements are available, but they are $100.00 for just the metal housing.  I think I'm going with some JB weld and a homemade retainer.

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »

So, thanks to everyone for the support and advice.  The gear assy is out and the ear is being reattached with some good old JB Weld.  I'm changing over to synthetic 80W90 gear oil which should do very well here in the heat of Texas.  I'll let everyone know how the JB Weld holds up.  Thanks again!