TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: overheating prob  (Read 2070 times)

fishface

overheating prob
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

Hey guys, my turbo capri has been running steadily hotter over the last few months, noticed it happening after my mechanic changed a eng temp sensor, he reckons it's just sends reading to the dials, not to tell the fan when to come on and how hard.

is there a sensor that does the latter?
I only ask as i have completly replaced the cooling system, rad, head, water pump all hoses over the last year, running out of ideas.
any help appreciated.

dont know what else could make it run hot.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
overheating prob
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »

There are 3 temp sensors:

ECU
Gauge
Fan switch

-The ECU sensor is in the bottom of the intake manifold.
-THe Gauge sensor is a single round pin connector, on the head side of the thermostat housing, facing the firewall.
-The fan switch is a single blade terminal connector on the thermostat housing, facing the driverside. If you unplug this sensor, the fan should come on.

Which sensor did he replace?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

fishface

overheating prob
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »

thanks rocket,

3 huh, he thought it only had 2, apparently the norm for mazda engines.

Got a feeling it was the guage one, could have been the fan switch, was defo not the ECU one.

if im not leaking water, and still overeating would you bet on it being one of the above not functioning correctly?

your Car looks cool  btw

JThw8

overheating prob
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »

Does the fan ever come on?  Try, as sugested above, disconnecting the wire to the switch on the thermostat housing and see if the fan is working.

With the wire connected see if the fan comes on once the car is up to temp (hopefully someone here can tell you at what temperature it should trigger)

If it comes on with the wire disconnected you will know the fan is good.  Once you know that, if it doesnt come on at the prescribed temperature it would point to a sensor failure.  But if the fan is coming on then you may have another issue.