TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Trunk Locked Shut  (Read 1398 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Trunk Locked Shut
« on: June 19, 2022, 08:18:39 AM »

Hey guys, so this is a pretty dumb problem....but it is nevertheless a problem. If I try to open my trunk from the outside of the vehicle, it won't open. The lock turns 80% of the way, but the key twists and the deck lid won't release. I can access the trunk through the back seats, but that isn't enough. I need to access the tail light mounting bolts (I've got a cracked light, which fails my state inspection) and the strut mount bolts (the mounts are toast). I have both of the trunk struts partially un-installed, because they didn't work anyways and I planned on replacing them. The car has been indoors for about a month now, and I've soaked that lock in every type of lube and penetrating oil I own. Nada.

So I'm not super concerned with being able to lock the trunk again if I need to get destructive. I even have a spare trunk, if it gets really bad. But ideally, I can just open this one and continue using this one. I don't have any idea what to do beyond drilling a hole through the lock cylinder. Does anyone else have any bright ideas?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Trunk Locked Shut
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 08:25:22 AM »

That's a good one. I assume you have pushed down on the trunk lid while turning the key. Drilling it out is the only thing I can think of. One of my cars requires annual applications of WD40 to keep them working, but you're beyond that.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 09:01:04 PM »

That the one on my old XR2? It was a bit cranky, try pushing down, it needed man-handling some times
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Andotron

• 1991 Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 10:45:01 PM »

I managed to reach in through the back seats with an extension on my socket and undo the bolts.
This let me open the boot (trunk)
Fixing the lock is a lot easier when you can remove it.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 09:52:11 PM »

Audotron is right, I've went through the back seat to retrieve my keys that I locked in the trunk, and to get the trunk open in junkyards when the key was missing...