TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52837 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #300 on: June 19, 2022, 07:52:07 AM »

Thanks
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »

The other missing electrical component I ordered off of ebay showed up, and plugged right into the car. Wish I could remember what it's called. If I ever figure out a new image host, you'll see the part number. I'm all set to put the car all the way back together and try to finish filling it with fluids this weekend. Exciting stuff...

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2022, 12:57:28 AM »

Good to see it all coming together, post a vid on youtube when it's running I'm keep to see how it sounds with the polished head. I found posting stuff to YouTube and linking it here to be the easiest way to put stuff up here.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2022, 01:13:29 AM »

Are you still thinking about and aftermarket Ecu? I really want to do it but I'm still not confident. If you end up installing one you will have to do a installation post I can follow!

EShepherd

« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »

Are you still thinking about and aftermarket Ecu? I really want to do it but I'm still not confident. If you end up installing one you will have to do a installation post I can follow!

Eventually, I may end up doing that. I definitely plan to break in the rebuild at the factory power level. Then I want to have Rocketman put his chip in there. Depending on how that feels, I may just stick with that. If, however, I can find a way to bolt a less fragile transaxle to this engine....well that will be when I start seriously looking into an aftermarket ECU. I figure a beefy trans, a custom exhaust manifold, and a modern turbo....that'd be a rocket ship. I do have quite a few bridges to cross before I'm ready for all of that, though.

EShepherd

« Reply #305 on: July 04, 2022, 12:59:15 PM »

Quick status update fellas. I've had a productive three-day weekend. The car is almost entirely back together. Just needs a bumper, hood, battery/tray, and front swaybar. I'll be doing that this afternoon, then beginning to attempt filling it with fluids again. It will need a new battery before I can try to start it, as well as one of the sensors on the firewall needs to be fixed. It's the one that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, and I managed to snap a vacuum nipple off of it. I did the same thing to the boost pressure sensor, but that one I don't NEED. I was going to pick up some vacuum T's and plastic epoxy and try to make what I have work. Other than that, I do believe she is finally ready to start.

Once running (well), it is going to be getting brakes and wheel bearings all around, as well as four tires. Do they still make Toyo Proxes R888r's in a 14" diameter? Probably will do the Galant trick to the front brakes. But that should be enough to get it driveable. Still need to figure out a solution to the strut problem before it'll drive well, I'm sure, but one bridge at a time.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2022, 07:32:27 PM »

That vacuum bit to the FPR is the hot start solenoid, you can probably bypass it for right now. It blocks vacuum to the FPR to raise fuel pressure and prevent vapor lock during a hot start. I have run without it no problems
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2022, 01:55:05 PM »

Hey everyone... so the car is finally back in 100% one piece. It is full of all of it's fluids (except the trans; needs axles) with no leaks. It STILL won't start. At first, it was blowing the 80a main fuse. I un-hooked the positive battery lug on the alternator, and now that stopped happening. I can turn the key to "on" and get stuff like wipers and turn signals. When I turn it to "start", nothing happens. No click. No cranking. No lights dimming. Nada. So, I suspect I need an alternator. Any recommendations of what to buy? Also, does anyone have any ideas on what to do about this electrical issue? I'm going to go and start checking for voltage at places like the starter and fuel pump relay. I have all sorts of tools to diagnose electrical issues if anyone has any bright ideas on what the issue could be.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »

The connections under the fuse block, just in front of the driverside strut tower can cause a no-start. Someone here just had their hood prop poke some of the wires there and that was their problem. Check/clean those connections with contact cleaner. There should be 4 or 5 plugs down there that you can go over

EShepherd

« Reply #309 on: July 10, 2022, 05:58:16 PM »

I checked; all the connections there seem fine. If you turn the key to -start-, you don't get 12v to the black/red wire at the starter. If you jump power to that wire, the starter will turn. For some reason, the car is not telling the starter that the key is turned and it's time to do its thing. No idea why, and I've run out of time to troubleshoot the issue. Bleh

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2022, 11:36:52 PM »

Yes, that is the issue caused by a bad connection in the region I described. No crank/start with key.
I think there is a largish metal relay box mounted to the back of the headlight bucket, is that present/connected?

EShepherd

« Reply #311 on: July 11, 2022, 06:18:30 AM »

Yes, that is the issue caused by a bad connection in the region I described. No crank/start with key.
I think there is a largish metal relay box mounted to the back of the headlight bucket, is that present/connected?

Yes, I have that relay mounted behind the headlight bucket on the driver's side. It's not plugged in, I couldn't find the connector. What relay is that? And do you have a pic of the connector? I'm gonna cry if this was my problem the whole time lol

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2022, 04:16:55 AM »

That relay needs to be plugged in. If you can't find it I'll try to trace it down and take a picture

EShepherd

« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2022, 05:16:54 AM »

That relay needs to be plugged in. If you can't find it I'll try to trace it down and take a picture
Thanks Matt! I appreciate all of the help you've given me along this journey. There's a very slim chance I'd even still own this car if it wasn't for you. Well, and everyone else here. So how big of a whoopsie did I make here? Is that big metal relay the actual main relay? I suspect that's what it is, and if so I feel quite silly.

EShepherd

« Reply #314 on: July 20, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »

Small life update guys. I just finished moving my family from our tiny basement studio apartment to a small two-bedroom house. The freedom it has afforded both myself, my son, and my wife really can not be overstated. As of right now, my Capri is still in the garage and on the lift at the house I moved from. It's only ten minutes away. It's not the end of the world to drive over to work on it. That being said, I am now saving/shopping for a portable garage. Basically a giant tent I can fit my car and tools in, then work on it even in the dark or the rain. That should happen hopefully within a month or two.

I'd LOVE to get the damn thing started before then, to avoid the hassle of towing it across town. It's the same as it was when I last posted. I can crank it by jumping power to the red/black wire on the starter. Turning the key to start does nothing. My alternator is also unplugged at the moment, as it was causing my 80A main fuse to blow. Does anyone have any ideas? Sucks to be so close and yet still so stuck.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32