TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Trunk Locked Shut  (Read 1413 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Trunk Locked Shut
« on: June 19, 2022, 08:18:39 AM »

Hey guys, so this is a pretty dumb problem....but it is nevertheless a problem. If I try to open my trunk from the outside of the vehicle, it won't open. The lock turns 80% of the way, but the key twists and the deck lid won't release. I can access the trunk through the back seats, but that isn't enough. I need to access the tail light mounting bolts (I've got a cracked light, which fails my state inspection) and the strut mount bolts (the mounts are toast). I have both of the trunk struts partially un-installed, because they didn't work anyways and I planned on replacing them. The car has been indoors for about a month now, and I've soaked that lock in every type of lube and penetrating oil I own. Nada.

So I'm not super concerned with being able to lock the trunk again if I need to get destructive. I even have a spare trunk, if it gets really bad. But ideally, I can just open this one and continue using this one. I don't have any idea what to do beyond drilling a hole through the lock cylinder. Does anyone else have any bright ideas?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Trunk Locked Shut
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 08:25:22 AM »

That's a good one. I assume you have pushed down on the trunk lid while turning the key. Drilling it out is the only thing I can think of. One of my cars requires annual applications of WD40 to keep them working, but you're beyond that.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 09:01:04 PM »

That the one on my old XR2? It was a bit cranky, try pushing down, it needed man-handling some times
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Andotron

• 1991 Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 10:45:01 PM »

I managed to reach in through the back seats with an extension on my socket and undo the bolts.
This let me open the boot (trunk)
Fixing the lock is a lot easier when you can remove it.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 09:52:11 PM »

Audotron is right, I've went through the back seat to retrieve my keys that I locked in the trunk, and to get the trunk open in junkyards when the key was missing...