TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: help with (maybe) a starter issue?  (Read 3231 times)

naptime

• http://www.toledotees.com
help with (maybe) a starter issue?
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »

hi all. so my 91 na has been running great. no issues to report at all.

back in april i went on vacation for a week. when i got back, the car would not start. i had enough juice to turn on the lights, and the radio, but not enough to crank the engine.

took 20 minutes jumpered to my buddys car, before it finally turned over.

got it home, put it on a charge, and have had no issues since.

last week, i went on vacation again. got home, and again, the car would not start. same as before. luckily, this time, it was already at my house. hooked up my charger, at 2amp, nothing. 5 amp, nothing. 10 amp, nothing. 40 amp, nothing. 200 amp, and finally the car started up.

i shut it down, and left it on a 10 amp charge for a bit. have had no issues. (friday saturday sunday)

yesterday (monday) we go to the grocery store. im just gonna run in and right back out . so i let my daughter keep the radio on. well, i was in longer than i thought. and when i came out, the car wouldnt start.

so im thinking, ok, battery is dead. pull it, walk home, put it on a charge, and its already fully charged!

i leave it on charge all ngiht. walk back to the grocery today and put it back in. still nothing.

lights come on, radio comes on, blower fan comes on, but car wont crank.

and i do NOT hear a "click" when i turn the key.

maybe starter is bad? im wondering if the 200amp jolt from the charger on friday was just giving it enough juice to kick over the starter?

or could it be solenoid? do they go bad instantly, or could it have been "going" bad?

im thinking hit the starter with a hammer.. but where is it on an na?

naptime

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »

BTW I took the bat to autozone for testing and they confirmed its fine. Full charge, no dead cells, proper cranking amps, etc.....

That's what lead me to think maybe the starter.

Autozone doesn't even show an option for a starter solenoid only a starter. So are they one in the same.

itsmeisatu

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

I'm chasing the same problem, only mine clicks like solenoid trying to make.  A rebuilt stater from Advanced Auto was $65 but still had problem took starter back for another and its slightly improved only not starting sometimes but always will start with a dozen or so fast tries with the key.  I also replaced the ignition switch and only thing left that I havn't got to is the switch on the clutch pedal they call it clutch starter switch, thats next.
George

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

Hmmm...

How old is the battery? date sticker on top? If its a few years old I don't see the harm in replacing it... if you've been charging it recently it might test okay in a static test on a machine.

Is your BATT light on? Your alternator might not be recharging the battery properly. Whats your system voltage when the car is running?

It could also be the starter, I don't think the solenoid is a separate part from the rest of the starter. There should be a clicking noise though. How many miles are on it?

The starter is located under the intake manifold, if you look kind of behind the distributor you'll see where its bolted to the bellhousing. Try hitting it with a hammer and see where that gets you, that method has worked for me before.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »

Go back to Autozone and have them test the charging system while it is running and go from there. You need to have a starting baseline instead of just guessing.
Clay

naptime

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

azgtx: i agree. but i cant have autozone test the charging system, while running, if the car wont start.

it was dead in a grocery store parking lot a mile from my house.

naptime

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »

rocketman, thanks for the info, i was having a heck of a time finding the starter.

i have the ford shop manual here, but it didnt say where to find the start. told me everything i needed to know about testing and replacing and rebuilding.. everything except where it was lol.

naptime

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

i wanted to put this in a post of its own, instead of grouping with a response to another post.

the car is fixed. i fixed it tonight, in the grocery store parking lot. and the final "fix" took me a whopping 1/2 second.

symptoms: car wont start. have power to lights, radio, horn, etc, but nothing from the starter, not even a click.

steps taken to narrow down the problem: walked home, checked the manual. walked back to the car (i mile from home) removed battery, took to autozone. autone shows batt in good condition, and fuly charged. walked home, with battery, and put it on an overnight 2amp charge anyway. walked back to the car, reinstalled battery, after cleaning battery terminals and posts. still nothing. looked for starter, couldnt find. walked home, checked the shop bible and forum. walked back to car, looked for starter (now dark on day 2) laid on the ground, still couldnt find. finally found the starter. hit it with a hammer from the side. still nothing. tapped on the top with the hammer handle. still nothing. decided to give up and call a tow truck to take the car to my house so at least i would have access to all my tools... thats when i noticed...... the car was in drive..... as much as i dont want to.. let me say that again..... the car was in drive.... !!!!  after staring in shock for minutes on end.. put the car into PARK, turned the key, and started the car   :rolleyes:  

all that, because for some reason, i forgot to put the car in park when i shut it down!!

thanks everyone for the help and suggestions

jay

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »

haha well then... happens to the best of us!

Glad it's resolved!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bhazard

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »

Blasted automatics...
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

gadawgs34

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »

that happened to me to lol glad im not the only one its funny how cars can jump up and fool you sometimes  
Mike Robinson