TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: something is wrong with my O2 sensor?  (Read 7128 times)

mrbill

something is wrong with my O2 sensor?
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »

Here is my problem, with the o2 sensor plugged in I loose power, undriveable period. unplug it and it drives ok, but not like it should. I bought a new o2 sensor, but did not fix the problem. anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?
william fuller

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

Cat
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »

its not the o2 the o2 on our cars really makes little difference in how it runs.. not sure what the problem you have is tho  can you explain more ?   what happen how it started or something

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

Disagree...

Had similar problems and replacing the O2 and the Cat fixed it
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »

Oh and ask Josh how much the O2 sensor means...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »

02 sensors makes BIG difference
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

mrbill

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »

dont really know much about the cars history, I bought it that way. at first I thought it was a fuel problem so I checked the fuel system even bought new O-ring kit for injectors, intake manifold, throttle body gaskets etc,etc. checked for vacume and air leaks, replaced old dry lines and hoses. when I got the car my friend had the exhaust off thinking the cat was plugged, but I looked at it myself and looked darn near new. The knock sensor had been replaced by me cause I'd broken the original, cap & rotor, plugs, wires all new. so out of the blue I'd decided to unplug O2 sensor and that made the car driveable, but now that it's driveable (o2 sensor unplugged) I've got to pass emissions test. thinking about pulling in and hooking up O2 real quick and if it passes I'll yard the cat off and be done with it. How will it effect the car with no cat and plugged O2 hole?(stock). also there was or is a guy with very similar problem on this forum but can't find him. any suggestions as to what to check or try next?. Thanks.
william fuller

mrbill

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »

And yes O2 sensor does make a big diff in how this car runs. Plugged in. undriveable, period. Unplug it and off to the races.
william fuller

bryanknight

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »

see now the funny thing is you have to guys that i know have been around here a while say that the o2 makes a big difference with the o2 pluged in and its a single wire stock and i ran mine a long time with the wire broke and my car ran also not bad at all and you mrbill also say that the car only runs with it unpluged so go figure... from my side the o2 does not make a big enough difference for the car not to run  it might run really rick or lean out but to say if i unplug it and the car will not start or i cant drive it nope not here and i like some others have been through the motor a few times...

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »

when i did not have 02 sensor hooked up car ran but leaned out very badly causing car to sputter and idle bad
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

bryanknight

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »

its like theres something wrong with the computer, or that wire thats messing with the singnel.. but i would have to say that with out the o2 working right and the cat on the car it will not pass the test but it will run a little better with out the cat altho if you get a full exhast on the car like 2" or so it well really run... if you have the car running with the o2 unpluged and then plug it up is an instantent change or does it start next time you start it ?

bryanknight

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »

i see what you saying but his is the reverse runs better with out it so either the car is running really rich unpluged and its leaning out and when you plug in the o2 it trys to fix it but cant or maybe its a bad o2 maybe he need to try a different one...    hey mrbill take the plugs out and see what color they are   white or black that might help us a little to see it its leaning or really rich...

mrbill

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »

here's what I've got, now I've been testing and trying different things all day to no avail. the plugs are white in the center and black around the threads, I'm sure when I do my test run with o2 plugged in (sputters,surges,sputters.cant get out of 2nd gear gutless)that is when the plugs turn black. then I'll stop and unplug o2 and she'll boost and hold as long as I wish in any gear back to the shop, but not to rough, just enough to clear her throat, and plugs. Also I've been trying to keep record of noticeably different behaviors in relation to the different things I'm trying and I notice the boost guage only gets to 3 to 5 psi max when o2 plugged in and that is it's constantly fluctuating whether I've got her floored or trying to nurse her up to speed, except this last run she remained at about 4psi and no more through out the sputtering and surging fit the o2 creates when connected. I have a Question about the emissions test, if I can make it look like O2 is plugged in would I be able to squeak by with just the cat and some B12 chemtool or other emissions additive? sounds silly but this is my first ever emissions test and turbo car. lol. thanks for the help.
william fuller

mrbill

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

oh yeah, when I unplug the o2, after I've gone far enough to know for sure no difference, the car remains running, I just lift hood real quickly disconnect o2 and rip back to shop..so the difference is instant, also the car starts very easily and runs at idle hot or cold, O2 or no O2.
william fuller

mrbill

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

check it out! I just got back from PASSING the emissions test,(with o2 sensor unplugged) and black tape over the flashing air bag light, and check engine light, no questions asked. now for the 2 1/2 inch exhaust I been waiting to put on. Just wondering if I should keep O2 and cat for fine tuning purposes? or will I be able to dial it in without?, my mods will be in full production now, and summer is just around the corner, so much to do and so little time. exhaust, intake, rocketchip, Bov, and much more, what fun.
william fuller
Pages: [1] 2