TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: New timing belt and water pump now white smoke  (Read 2793 times)

Daniel1971!

• 91 capri
New timing belt and water pump now white smoke
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »

Hello
My 91 Capri timing belt broke a few months ago. Had a new timing belt and water pump put in. Drove it home fine. It sat through winter in my garage, when I started it up tons of white smoke and burns slot of gas. The coolant level isn't going down, the oil isn't milky and it doesn't overheat. From the shop manual it says it is impossible to blow a head gasket from a broken timing belt.  I think it is too much smoke for condensation. Any ideas would be appreciated

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: New timing belt and water pump now white smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 05:26:23 AM »

Have you tried letting it run for a while, to see if it's just burning off crap from the rebuild or from sitting?

An easy way to confirm a head gasket failure would be a block tester (about $40), or a slightly better way would be a leak down tester (~$100). The block tester is simple to use, but only tests for exhaust gasses within your cooling system. A leak down test can give you loads of information on engine health, but is significantly more complicated to both use and interpret.

FWIW, what you describe sounds like it could be bad valve stem seals. This is a thing that a leak down test would tell you.

Daniel1971!

• 91 capri
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 11:55:49 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have let it run , its burning gas like crazy. I think it might be water in the tank after sitting in a garage all winter the weather has gone from 60 one day to the teens the next. Do you think it is possible that its just water, there is spot of fluid coming out of the exhaust and like I said burning gas like crazy

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 05:35:51 AM »

Thanks for the info. I have let it run , its burning gas like crazy. I think it might be water in the tank after sitting in a garage all winter the weather has gone from 60 one day to the teens the next. Do you think it is possible that its just water, there is spot of fluid coming out of the exhaust and like I said burning gas like crazy

I see you're also in the NE then lol. This winter has been odd, eh?

So, at least with the turbo Capri, they are known to have issues starting/running with old gas in the tank. This is due to the low compression ration (it's something absurd, like 7.5:1). I know the N/A Capri has a higher compression ratio, but it's still pretty low. I kind of doubt this is the issue, but it's easy enough to check. If your tank is low, just top it off with a good amount of FRESH gas. If it's not so low, siphon out the old stuff first.

If you are really burning a ton of gas though, I'd be more interested in your fuel system. Can you have your fuel system pressure tested? Did you have your injectors out/inspected/cleaned when the timing was done? It's possible an o-ring (or several) for the injectors got torn, causing a steady leak-down of fuel into the intake manifold. It's a fairly common issue when servicing very old fuel systems.