TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel Pump Anomoly  (Read 5216 times)

Pants

• 94 Red/Green Capri
Fuel Pump Anomoly
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »

I'd like to start off by say hey to everyone here.  I just purchased a non running 1993 Capri for $75 as a little bit of a project.  That being said this car is by no means in good condition.  I know the previous owner very well and the engine ran like a top for the past 3 years. To the point though - the car died one day and the owner didn't know what was really wrong other than there was a fuel problem.  At that point he replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, but to no avail. 

While I was inspecting it I realized that the fuel pump will only work while you are cranking the car.  It does not prime as soon as you turn the key to the on position.  That being said even when you're cranking the car it's not even pumping enough through the lines to make it through the fuel filter. I disconnected the line below the filter and it sort of just runs out of the line as drool flows from a baby's mouth.  Any ideas as to what may cause this?  Thanks ahead of time ;3

blueamber

Re: Fuel Pump Anomoly
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »

Congrats on a super deal... my cheapest Capri was $100, a black 93 xr2, and it's my daily driver!

The fuel pump does not spray fuel out when the filter is disconnected, but it does run out at a fair rate when cranking.

Try loosening the intake pipe to the throttle body, spray starter fluid into it, put the pipe back together quickly and see if it tries to crank.  If so then the replacement pump is either bad or connected improperly.

Look at the tachometer when cranking, the needle should bounce a little, indicating spark is present.  If not, then the module in the distributor may be bad, that's a common failure...good luck...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:43:42 AM »

The fuel pump does not prime on the Capri - it will only run when the engine is cranking (the fp switch is in the VAF) or when the pump test connector on the firewall is jumpered.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

shep83

• 94 capri
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »

This sounds strangely familiar?????
Read my thread "94 Turns over won't start"

FYI-AutoZone has a really nice fuel system test kit in their tool loaner program. Has fuel pressure gauge and multi-meter...

shep83

• 94 capri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

Did you get this to run????

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »

Oh yeah,  there is a fuel pump cutoff switch in the trunk to the left of the spare tire, supposed to stop the pump in a crash.  Supposedly a  bumpy road can activate the cutoff.  Push that red button ... chris

Pants

• 94 Red/Green Capri
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:25 AM »

Update --

So I got the car to fire a couple times and even run for a full two minutes. I also took a short little video here so you guys can see what's going on. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-uOd-ZQw4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

shep83

• 94 capri
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »

Did you check the voltage at the FP.. Should have 12v at blk/w wire..

If you jumper the FP (shove a short piece of wire into the yellow 2 wire connector on passenger side of firewall) it will run when key is on. Makes testing a lot easier..

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »

How long has it been sitting? Is the gas fresh?

I went through a period of time on my GTXR2 where it would start on starting fluid, but otherwise would just give me fits - it turned out to be bad gas.

Might also be worth checking the timing belt and making sure it hasn't skipped a tooth or something

Pants

• 94 Red/Green Capri
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

It only sat for about 2 weeks with a fresh tank of gas in it as it was used as a DD until the first fuel pump shat out. I was going to check my voltage but I've misplaced my electrical bag with my meter in it - hopefully I can get that tonight.

blueamber

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »

Runs sometimes, doesn't run sometimes...  just for grins smell the oil on the dipstick.  Does it smell like gas?

I bought and flipped a 91 capri that sometimes would start, sometimes not, would run, then not run.  Replaced the computer and it fixed it.  Injectors were staying on occasionally, all the time.  Lots of gas got bypassed into the crank case, the oil was very thin and smelled of gas.  After an oil change (and a few odds and end repairs) the car was good enough to sell for a $1000 profit.

Your computer could be fried and act differently, u-pull-its sell them for under 50 bucks...chris

EZFEED

• 1993 Capri, 1994 Capri
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »

VAF trouble it sounds like.

Pants

• 94 Red/Green Capri
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 04:40:48 AM »

So I finally found some time to tinker with the car again and decided to rent some noid lights and see what's going on.  No dice on the lights.  I checked the wiring to make sure everything should be working.  This means the ECM is shot, right?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »

Have you checked for +12V on one side of the injectors? They get constant power on one side, and the ecu grounds them to fire them.
The +12V is fused in the engine bay. Someone else here just had a no-start and turned out the power wire for the injectors was pulled out of the harness.

Otherwise yes it could be the ECU

Pants

• 94 Red/Green Capri
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

Which fuse in the bay controls the injectors?  The wiring harness is an absolute disaster in this thing.  So many crummy splice jobs.
Pages: [1] 2