TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: In dash cd dvd player  (Read 2801 times)

Hollis

In dash cd dvd player
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »

So today I got to thinking while trying to fix my pos gps/dvd player in my car. It would be neat to put it in the dash some how. (Of course with my xr2 being out I was going to attempt the jetta)

I picked up a gps dvd cd player last sept. And well being it was a wal mart 200$$ special it broke within weeks. The detachable faceplates clip broke off and won't hold it on. My fix was some double sided tape works great!!! Lol.

Anyways on to what I was thinking. It comes in 3 sections. A touch screen 3 inch led screen. a set of controls. And the cd player itself.

The touch screen is its own seperate thing basically. U can move it up and down to adjust it. A few wires run from it to inside the cd player.

What if you cut a small hole in the dash to put the lcd screen in and rewired it back to the cd player. Hide the cd player unit itself? The usb port you could put somewere out of the way that way you can still use it. And the passenger could have most of the control(While driver has a full function remote)

Mount the cd player were original was so you can still swap out cd/dvds easily as the driver. I don't need to see the lcd screen much. Can't watch the movie when its being played and I don't need the distraction. All I need to be able to do is turn the songs lol.

Has anyone tried or done this?

If its possible I might try it. The head unit is going to get replaced anyways so if it gets messed up I'm not to worried.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
In dash cd dvd player
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

Check out fiberglassforums.com

Anything that could be done has been done there, seamless integration of in car entertainment  

There are also a lot of car audio/entertainment forums might want to see if you can find one of those, check people's project threads for ideas
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
In dash cd dvd player
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »

I had a ton of ideas for mine, pics of the parts and i can give you some.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Hollis

In dash cd dvd player
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

The screen is acutally pretty much seperate. I don't think it would be to hard.

And I'll look at that site a little today. Try to steal some ideas lol.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
In dash cd dvd player
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »

If you dont car about air bags....You can put it on the steering wheel....the whole thing...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Hollis

In dash cd dvd player
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »

I thought about that one. But since it plays dvd's I figured I could put it over near were the passenger sits. That way they can watch a movie on long drives. And it keeps me from trying to watch it and drive lol. Possibly put a secondary moniter above me. Like the f&f ricer kids but it would be for the gps.

Not to sure. As of right now its an idea floating in my head till I get my xr2 fixed. Stupid snow delayed everything.

Mostly I just wanted someone elses opinion on it. I think its a great idea. If all else fails I'll test it on my jetta. If things work out well. For 200 bucks to get a gps/dvd/mp3 player I'll just pick up another for the xr2. I'm just hoping 2 months from now it doesn't completely shit out.

The steering wheel would be sick tho. If I didn't think I would try to watch the dvd I prob would head that route.

I got nuff speeding tickets I don't need one for reckless driving lol