TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Window motor  (Read 2968 times)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
Window motor
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »

Hi again all, now I'm replacing the power window cables on my '91 and I found Eddies fix at Werbatfik, great article !
My question is... does the window motor have to be cycled to a up or down stop before attaching cables ??  Started thinking about that as I was ready to put cables in position . I don't know how the motor knows when to shut off at top or bottom and it doesn't look like there is a trip or anything. I know on some motors you run them so many turns one way then the other to get into position .

Also as a TIP.. IF you don't have a crimping tool to seat or squash the cable stops on I made one myself and it works !
 I took a NUT a little smaller inside diameter than cable stop , reamed out the threads to somewhat smooth then hacksawed the nut in HALF .
I put some RTV on the jaws of my Vicegrips , set the sawed nut in there and lightly clamped tight til set. Now after set , you should be able to open jaws without the 2 pieces falling out and you then put stop with cable in it and clamp down several times while tightening as you go along . When done with all your pieces simply scrape out RTV and good to go !  Beats the heck out of paying $$$ for a tool you're only going to use a project or two.  Could apply this to various sizes too.
Hope this helps someone out there in this same situation.

blueamber

Re: Window motor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:43 AM »

The window motor really stops when you take your finger off the switch!  When it reaches its top or bottom position the motor bogs down and cannot move anymore.  The DC motor is designed to not be harmed by being stopped with power still applied.  So, no cycling is required, just install the cables and you are good to go...

Nice tip on making a workable tool for crimping the cable stops...

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »

Thanks blue, just in the nick of time on the info ! Got the cables on and tried it out and it works . Had to tweak the tension on the cables a bit but, I'm sure they'll adjust as time goes on. Now on to putting it back in , the real fun !
Per the 'tool' .. I even amazed a friend of mine too, a gearhead of all things !  Gotta do what you gotta do, as long as IT IS RIGHT, no goldbergen here , don't like having to fix it twice .  Thanks again ! 

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:14 AM »

I like the ingenuity. We'll call you MacGuyver or Mac Jr. if you prefer.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

Just don't call me late for dinner !