TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 2624 times)

LarryC

Paint question
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »

I have a 91'XR2.  I brought the car a few months ago, about 75000 miles on it.  When I bought it, the paint was badly oxidized (sp?), but some wax and rubbing work made it look ok.  Paint was peeling from bumpers, I sanded the bumpers, and used color matched rattle can ordered from local paint store. The body is straight, except for a few small dents on the drivers side.  I love this little car, but everytime I get into it, I notice the dents.  

Some people think original paint is better.  I'm leaning on re-painting with 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear coat.  I have looked at some of the car pictures and I have a question about the rubber side molding and black lip on bumpers. Some cars appeared to paint the car whole, others either masked the molding and lips (or maybe remove the molding?).  I think painting the car whole would be easier, but maybe the paint would peel off, eventually, from rubber molding?  thanks again

rcdraco

Paint question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »

It's a year distinction, and personal taste really.  1991 they came with the black plastic trim, with red rubber stripes.  1994 had the whole thing painted body color as far as I know.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Paint question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »

The molding isn't removable from the bumper, just the red strip. It's the same material as the rest of the bumper, so prepped properly it will hold paint just fine.

The body trim can be removed, and either left be or repainted. I actually removed it altogether, I like the indent there without the trim present
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"