TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Crossed the poles on my battery! now what?  (Read 1950 times)

Braden

Crossed the poles on my battery! now what?
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

I bought my '93 XR2 about 3 months ago and am getting onto the electrical now. after i had the battery out for a month i didn't pay attention as to what side each cables goes on, and with both being black and one with a yellow stripe i figured the all black must be ground, and of course i was wrong. I fried the main fuse and two smaller ones which i replaced.
       The car runs great but i still have no headlights or motors, horn, or radiator fan. I checked all the wiring and i believe i fried the relays but they are not easy to find and not cheap.
       Is it possible to run a switch to the battery for all of these? or are my relays fine? Also, if any of you guys and gals have these relays for sale I would love to buy them from ya!
       I've never been good with electrical so any bit of info is greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead in advance! - Braden  

By the way, I love this forum, its been a huge blessing for me and my car!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »

Did you check any of the fuses? There is a fuseblock under the hood, usually the main 80A fuse blows when you hook the battery up backwards. (usually the car won't run with this blown, though)

Also check the fuseblock under the dash.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Braden

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »

yep, i checked them all, had to replace the the main fuse and two smaller ones under the dash, but still no luck.

rcdraco

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »

Double check the fuses under the dash as well, and check if the headlight relay clicks when you use the headlight switch or the headlight position switch in the center console.  As far as the radiator fan, disconnect the one wire spade to the side of the thermostat housing, while the key is set to run.  If the fan turns on the switch might be bad.  Check to see that the horn is actually connected at it's mount, I think it's on the passenger or driver's side, under the headlight doors.

Braden

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

ok, so i cleaned up every connection and ground i could find, and now the lights come on when I use the Flash to Pass but thats it. so atleast i know they work, it must be in the switch or the center console module. You guys were right, the relays are fine! Thanks for all the help. - Braden