TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A New Owner with a Question about Rear Speakers  (Read 5744 times)

DashingDaryl

A New Owner with a Question about Rear Speakers
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »

Hey! Greetings from Sunny Phoenix.

I picked up a 91 Capri about a month ago. It appears to be stock and is in good condition.

It is a Classic Capri in that the Driver's side window motor was bound up, the passenger side door handle was broken and the roof latch needs to be replaced.

My question is my rear speakers didn't work when I had a stock radio, and they still don't work when I installed an aftermarket.

Both speakers, no music, no buzzing or any kind of sound.

I assume it has to be a common wire, since each speaker is fed separately. Any ideas where I should start my search? Is there a common ground you know of? Is there a harness connection somewhere that comes apart often?

In case you are wondering, I used wire harnesses to install the stereo so no splicing was involved in the install.

I appreciate any and all answers, no matter how hair brained they seem. If you have an idea, send it my way.

Daryl

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
    • http://teamcapri.com
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »

the positive and ground wires run right from head unit.could be the wiring, could be the harness itself. test the speakers off ur door speakers to make sure they play, if so then speakers are good. if you have a spare speaker harness u can try running right off the head unit with it.
Anthony
Cadillac STS 05 Silver Metallic V8-Northstar
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust
-Phillips 6,000K HID Low Beams
-Phillips 6,000K HID Fog Lights
-Factory upgrade radio to 8\\" touch screen navi with 6 disc dvd changer.

http://teamcapri.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »

ok, pop the roof compartment hatch, put the top up but leave the back section loose.
now flop the tail of the roof foward, over the roof and out of the way... down inside the compartment where the top stowes, are the backsides of the rear speakers...

i would start there.. checking your connections, and noting wire colors..
you could then find the corresponding wire color in front in the dash and check for continuity...

220hp@18psi

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
    • http://teamcapri.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

from my understanding, giving what he said, he knows how to get to the speakers since he already switched out the speakers to aftermarket. if you didnt do it, they were professionally done, i'd get them for screwing it up.
Anthony
Cadillac STS 05 Silver Metallic V8-Northstar
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust
-Phillips 6,000K HID Low Beams
-Phillips 6,000K HID Fog Lights
-Factory upgrade radio to 8\\" touch screen navi with 6 disc dvd changer.

http://teamcapri.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

shooting wires from head unit to the rear is best way to go...

did your car have the "premium" sound system before?

if so you need to remove the amp and harness that came with it..

since you just installed a aftermarket stereo...just bypass the factory wires all together and get a 2ch amp that can handle a 2ohm load stereo and run all 4 speakers off it. in the end you will be much happier with the overall sound especially with the top down...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

DashingDaryl

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

Thank you for all the tips so far.

I plugged and unplugged the rear speakers and did not get any difference. I kept the stock speakers for now. I am looking for a friend to lend me a speaker to test, since I don't want to take the door panel off again if I don't have to.

Now, to the question of the Moment. I put in a Sony stereo that has 52 watts per channel. I took out the "Premium Sound System" amp and left the wires hanging. (I needed the DIN space for my cups holders) I plugged in my harness to the radio. I got power and front speakers. IS THE REASON FOR NO REARS BECAUSE THEY CONNECT  THROUGH THE FACTORY AMP?

Thank you again for all your input. Looking forward to hearing some more good answers.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »

yes....factory amps do weird things with aftermarket stereos. most need a jumper harness..the capri just need the amp and harness removed completely. if you bought the harness kit to install the aftermarket stereo then it will work fine afterwords..but you can not use the harness for the factory amp. i bet the fronts will even sound better. odds are the signal getting there is only for the highs to the fronts...

i have noticed in fords and dodges some of the speakers will work partway when trying to bypass the factory amps incorrectly.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

DashingDaryl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:00 AM »

Thanks! Actually it was YOU who told me how to do it in the first place, when I came out to your house. Back then I was a bit concerned since all the aftermarket harnesses said, "Not for Premium Sound System." You assured me it was not a big deal (Which it was not) BTW: That Passenger handle I got from you is working great.

The weird thing is I had no rear speakers with the Factory radio, so I thought the amp might be out.

I removed the amp before I started this post, but when you say for me to take out the harness, what do you mean?

DashingDaryl

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

AH HA! I think I get it now. Tell me if I understand this correctly. The Capri's premium sound system has a pass through amp. Unlike most amps that have RCA inputs, the factory amp takes the speaker out lines, boosts them, and then sends them out.

I unplugged the amp and plugged my harness into the amp feed instead of the AMP out.

What screwed up my logic was I got sound from my front speakers. Most likely a previous owner had the same problem and direct connected the front speakers to the radio.

What you are telling me is I need to plug into the amp out wires for my rear speakers to work.

My question is: Do I need a special harness for that? Where could I get one?

A special thanks to George/GLC for sending me the Radio wiring schematic.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »

bring it by and i can figure it out in about 1 hour and it should be working fine
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

DashingDaryl

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 05:42:00 AM »

So I went so far as to order an amplifier bypass harness on line. It was a Metra 70-5513. It did what it said, and bridged the input and output lines of the amp. However it still did not solve my problem.

Instead of taking the advice of you all, and plugging in a test speaker to the rear wires, I ordered the harness.

It turns out my rear speakers are shot. Nothing comes out of them. When I plugged my home stereo speakers in, sound came out.

Grrrrrr... Pretty long route for a pretty easy problem.

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 03:32:00 AM »

if you want to keep the stock speakers i have a pair of stock rear speakers send me a pm
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

wow-what a lot of hassle. first damn thing I did when I bought mine was to take it to the local stereo shop and had them put in a stereo and sine then I have put in after amrket speakers, sitll hav e the premium amp in, cause it rains like hell in washington in the winter. nsoon as the sun comes out and the cover comes off I have plans on taking out the amp and putting gauges in. I also had thought about the cup holder thingie, but I was worried about the shifter getting in the way!!  
Man your new picture of the rcicustom capri looks hot as hell!!!!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

i use to install back in the day...will never pay the fees people pay to get things installed...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

DashingDaryl

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »

As a follow up, I bought some new rear speakers and installed them (In less than five minutes)

Then of course I didn't like my front speakers, so I replaced those too.

All is well, but you guys were right; I wish I had sprung for an amp.
Pages: [1] 2