TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: ONLY IN REVERS  (Read 2329 times)

Rocha

ONLY IN REVERS
« on: October 26, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »

my mercury capri shakes a lot when im going in reverse, how can i fix this or what is it going wrong, also when i have it in neutral or parking, and i accelerate gently or untile 2000 rpm smoke starts coming out, well in my car it says 2 rpm, how can i fix this???? breif details please

Rocha

ONLY IN REVERS
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

1991 base capri

DashingDaryl

ONLY IN REVERS
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »

A google search shows that it is most likely a Broken Transmission Mount or Engine mount. MOST likely the rear transmission mount. Hope this helps.

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
ONLY IN REVERS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »

umm the smoke i would not worry bout unless its really bad thing it could be bad rings and or value stem sets most of the time if its the rings you will notice losing power might need to a compression check.... as for the shakes not sure i dont think its a mount that would make it keep shaking maybe just maybe shake a little or hearing or feelin the motor give and a thump where the mount is give way but if it keeps doing it as you back up?? if it was a stick i would say clutch but not sure can you give more detail on the shake does it do it going forware.. or if you set still with the brake on and pushing the gas not letting the car move.. or just when the car is going in reverse???? not sayin its not a mount but from my life problems not seen a mount do that

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
ONLY IN REVERS
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »

put some lucas oil stuff in it..

my son's supra was spitting out oil and puffs of smoke and 1 treatment fixed it..good temp fix until u can do a rebuild
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
ONLY IN REVERS
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

id imagine the smoking is from dried up valve stem seals, like bryan said... just due to age ...
the car is almost 20 years old!!! and even a showcar kept indoors cant escape deterioration...
thats what time does....
the small rubber seals harden like a rock and lose there seal ..
small amounts of oil bypass and cuase smoking...
id drive it till it dies, and then rebuild and reseal the whole engine. but thats just me...

shaking in reverse???

auto or 5 speed??

auto, check your mounts like daryl said

5 speed, check your clutch and flywheel
do a "high load test" (floor it in third)
check for clutch slippage...

220hp@18psi