TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: New, first post  (Read 2868 times)

LarryC

New, first post
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »

Up to about a month ago, I was pretty happy with my G35 and a nice motorcycle.  And I had never heard of or thought about a 'Capri'.  The G35 is a over 300 hp four door car, 95% of the time, I was its only occupant. I loved riding the M/C, but, I'm over 60 yrs of age, so the risk is not worth the thrill (there should be a law against aged people riding motorcycles). Several factors lead me into searching for a sportier car. Lousy gas mileage and the need to keep odometer reading low for the G35. I made a decision to stop riding motorcycles and substitute a sports car in its place. Years, ago, days after I after I separated from my first wife, I had bought a new GT3000. Kept it for a few years, but, couldn't afford child supports payments and the car.  I looked at a few Mitsubishi's, but the nicer ones were kinda pricey and fuel comsuption is not good.  A couple of years ago, I had another 4 door sedan and a Miata.  My son convinced me to sell the two cars, for a nice 'sport sedan', hence the G35.  I looked at a couple of Miata's, then I remembered why I sold mine, they are so hard to get into and out of.  I kept searching CL for either sports cars or 'convertibles' for under a $2000.  A 'XR2' kept popping up, the seller was nearby, so I called him.  The car was in junk condition, but, I loved the way it drove and it was so easy to get into.  A couple of days later, I went down to O.C. to see another Capri. It was posted at same price ($1200.) Another junk, but since I was in O.C. I remembered another posting for a XR2 with 64k miles, but asking $3300. The red paint was faded and couple of dings.  Interior, great condition.  I offered 22, we settled on 24.  Not perfect. after buying it, discovered needed alternator and a bushing was bad.  The soft top has cracks.  I waxed it the first nite and it came out like new. Local mechanic replaced alternator and bushing for about $200. This morning, I drove down to Palm Springs (yes, the Calif 'O.C.') and bought a hard top for $200. For less than $3000. I have my perfect car.  Sporty, convertible, manual trans, the trunk can hold my golf bag and cart. I am a happy man.  BTW, my airbag warning light is flashing.  Dealer says its a bad module.  Does anyone have a working module for sale? and advise how to replace? thanks for reading.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
New, first post
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum! You will be very happy with your decision to get into a Capri! This board provides a wealth of knowledge and will soon become your first stop for info. Concerning the air bag light, mine flashes as well and I just deal with it. I don't feel real comfortable with the idea of a 20 year old air bag blowing up in my face! Some people just cover the light with electrical tape or black it out. If you do decide to replace the module, contact Russ Carlson (caprityper@gmail.com) he has over a dozen Capris and TONS of parts.

Again, welcome to the forum!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Colorado1

New, first post
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »

Most of the flashing air bag signals are due to a bad ground on one or more of the crash sensors. Check & clean all of the connections.    I copied & pasted this from www.midcountymustang.com in the tips and useful information section.
Rob

LarryC

New, first post
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »

Thank you.  I read the post and cleaned most electical connections and grounds.  I paid a dealer $96. to confirm problem is module. But, not that important and I think I will just do the 'black tape' thing.

kelly270

• http://na
New, first post
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »

I disconnected mine, seemed deasier that way. Plus I never have to worry any more, when I put the FMIC on the front, kind of had to discontinue use of the air bag anyway. Besides I really dont want to be the only one alive out of a crash!!!!!

Welcome to the forum, welcome to capri.

Anything you need, parts wise, find RUSS on this forum or the capri owners forum on facebook. He got anything you need, for real reasonable prices also!!

He likes to go by  CapriTypeR, just look for his posts, click on his name and send him private message, tell 'em Kelly sent cha!!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

TOMJBURKE

New, first post
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »

Larry, did the guy you bought the top from also have a car for sale. The reason I ask is on May 18 I also drove out to Palm Springs from Temecula,and bought a red 92 with a white soft top.The seller advertised the car for $400.00 on craigs list, said it needed a head gasket and was not driveable. When I got there he said he had just sold the hard top for $200.00. I started the car and drove it onto my trailer. My son has been driving it ever since without a problem. It replaced his 91 which recently got T-boned by someone running a red light. Small world isn't !!