TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Possible parts purchase  (Read 2623 times)

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Possible parts purchase
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »

Hi folks, as some of you know I recently purchased a nice 94 XR2 from a local Capri restorer.  He is done with restoring these cars, so much so that he gave me all of his repair/shop manuals.  This leads me to my question.

There are approximately 2 truckloads of parts for sale, including a parts car (blown engine) that has just about everything except for a gas tank and wheels. He has everything from consoles to a top frame, switches, etc. He has a LOT.  He has offered everthing to me for a modest price.

I don't have the room, nor do I have $500.00 to spend right now.  He claims that I can get my money back on some of the switches and other small parts alone. Am I crazy to let this deal go by? I don't plan on having multiple Capris...I had one years ago and really liked the car. Now, I have the 94, I don't plan on buying any others (I'm more into VW bugs) for projects. I bought the 94 as my "mostly" daily driver.  So, I can't imagine needing all these parts. The PO is going to hold back the 94 specific parts for me, but I have no idea what he's going to do with all the other parts. If I get them, I need to be able to turn a profit, even if a modest one. Bottom line, if I can get the parts and help some of the folks out here and keep them from going to the junk yard (yes, he mentioned this) then I'd be happy.  I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of parts that I can't sell because there's no market.  If these were bug parts, I'd know exactly what to do. Make sense?

Thanks for your imput!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Possible parts purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »

I don't know of any Capri Enthusiasts down your way let alone any "Restorers" do you have more details on this?

I sell parts myself, I've parted one or two cars over the years, pull stuff in the junkyard when I can. Plan on sitting on parts for a long, long time. There can be a return on your investment but it will take a while. Stuff like lenses, some switches, window regulators...top latches...etc. that stuff will move a little quicker. Top frame? Not so much.

Why is he withholding the 94 stuff? Naturally that is the more desirable stuff because folks like to "upgrade" to it, it will move quicker and sell for more $$

Without seeing an inventory list, or some very detailed pictures, it would be very hard to put a value on everything. $ If it's $500, AND you get a mostly complete parts car, that sounds pretty reasonable.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

I don't know of any Capri Enthusiasts down your way let alone any "Restorers" do you have more details on this?

I sell parts myself, I've parted one or two cars over the years, pull stuff in the junkyard when I can. Plan on sitting on parts for a long, long time. There can be a return on your investment but it will take a while. Stuff like lenses, some switches, window regulators...top latches...etc. that stuff will move a little quicker. Top frame? Not so much.

Why is he withholding the 94 stuff? Naturally that is the more desirable stuff because folks like to "upgrade" to it, it will move quicker and sell for more $$

Without seeing an inventory list, or some very detailed pictures, it would be very hard to put a value on everything. $ If it's $500, AND you get a mostly complete parts car, that sounds pretty reasonable.

The PO is an older guy that fixed up a few Capri's and sold them locally. 

I initially decided to pass on the parts because 1. I don't have a lot of extra time to catalog and sell them, and 2. I don't have a lot of room to store them.  The PO told me I could have everything for $500.00, but that may not be the same for everyone. I think he made the offer because of the car purchase.

I should have been more clear re: The 94 parts. He's going through his inventory to try to sell everything to someone else since I initially told him I was going to pass. He is going to hold back anything 94 specific for me.  He said he doesn't think he has a lot that's 94 specific, but he knows he has some things. 

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

I may be intrested, but I would need an inventory, or at least, a bunch of pictures!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »

I may be intrested, but I would need an inventory, or at least, a bunch of pictures!

Russ, check your private messages!  Give me a call after you read the message if you like.