TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Basic driving question  (Read 3275 times)

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Basic driving question
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »

This may be a silly question, but it's bugging me. My 94 XR runs around 3200-3300 rpm at 70 mph. Is the engine comfortable at that rpm?  The car has around 105,000 miles on it but I can't imagine it ran any better when it was new. I want the car to last and I just don't want to push it too hard. Most other 5-speeds I've owned didn't run that hard at 70.

It's been a long week and I'm thinking too much. ;D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Basic driving question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »

That's normal, and it's actually on the lower side for the Mazda's. Some of the V6 transmissions had a 4.38 final drive with the same .795 5th gear we have (The XR2 has a 3.85 FD, tallest there is for the G-series)

You can swap the 5th gear out for a .717 ratio 5th gear and save 300-500 RPM on the highway. Search here for "5th Gear Swap" :) It's not difficult to do as our 5th gears are external to the transmission case, it can be done in about an hour
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »

If you decide you would like to do the 5th gear swap, let me know - I sell them at Roo-Sport.com!
 :)
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »

If you decide you would like to do the 5th gear swap, let me know - I sell them at Roo-Sport.com!
 :)

Good advice. I think I will do that, probably in the spring.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »

I've debated using the 5th gear swap, even bought a set that I'm looking at as I type.

My concern is the lowered performance in 5th gear, and how it would affect my driving habits.  I run a lot of the time in 5th gear around town, 35 mph, poking along not loading the engine down.  By decreasing the revs, it seems that I'd have to be in 4th gear now.  No, I think it's NOT bad to run Capri's this way, a loafing engine doesn't mean one being abused.

Interstate driving, where I am a little lazy, I just want the power to change lanes quickly and pass a little slower traffic..I have it now... the higher revs keeps available torque right there ready to use.  At 400 fewer RPMs, I's have less torque, and have to rely on downshifting more.  Nothing wrong with downshifting, the XR2 turns into a rocket getting into 3rd gear at 70 mph, sweet!!! 

Better gas mileage sounds tempting, and maybe slightly longer engine life sounds ok, I just don't know if I'd want to accept lowered performance in 5th gear...Chris
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:28:08 PM by blueamber »

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »

I've debated using the 5th gear swap, even bought a set that I'm looking at as I type.

My concern is the lowered performance in 5th gear, and how it would affect my driving habits.  I run a lot of the time in 5th gear around town, 35 mph, poking along not loading the engine down.  By decreasing the revs, it seems that I'd have to be in 4th gear now.  No, I think it's NOT bad to run Capri's this way, a loafing engine doesn't mean one being abused.

Interstate driving, where I am a little lazy, I and just want the power to change lanes quickly and pass a little slower traffic..I have it now... the higher revs keeps available torque right there ready to use.  At 400 fewer RPMs, I's have less torque, and have to rely on downshifting more.  Nothing wrong with downshifting, the XR2 turns in to a rocket getting into 3rd gear at 70 mph, sweet!!! 

Better gas mileage sounds tempting, and maybe slightly longer engine life sounds ok, I just don't know if I'd want to accept lowered performance in 5th gear...Chris

This is a good point as well. I drive around town more than I do interstate, but, not by a lot. I'm not overly concerned about over-revving the engine, but just wanted to make sure this is normal considering that in many parts of the country, 55 was the standard speed limit on most US interstates.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »

With 4 of my cars having this swap, from a stock XR2, to my custom cars....I do not notice any difference when trying to pass or accelerating...Feels like a regular unmodified Capri.
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!