TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Piston slap/rebuild  (Read 2064 times)

SpencerXR2

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
Piston slap/rebuild
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »

Hello all. It seems I have a case of piston slap. That crazy knocking ish sound on cold starts. But any who, I plan on upgrading my clutch but wile I'm in there I was thinking about rebuilding the motor and adding a few internal upgrades. My question is, are all n/a and xr2 blocks the same? If so I have an extra block laying around I could have machined to minimize downtime. But I'm just curious as to what route would be best to take. Thanks
Looking for 250!!!!! (Hp's that is..)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Piston slap/rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:16:21 AM »

Probably lifter tick, what weight oil are you running? These aren't really known for piston slap.

Yes, the blocks are all the same - make sure the oil/coolant passages for the turbo are drilled & tapped (some of the late model engines, they skipped this) and the oil cooler threads are a bit of a bugger to switch over
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

SpencerXR2

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »

5-w40 I believe. Kinda even sounds like a rod knock. Pretty big thud for a valve train issue I think. But other than that it runs real good lol. Guess I'll just upgrade everything around the motor and hope it holds up. Pretty excited about it. I've all ready got your ecu chip and a mbc cranked up to 16psi. Pretty much ready for a turbo upgrade. From what I've read it seems I have to make my own exhaust manifold. Should be to much of a problem considering I'm a machinist. The joys of owning a capri is never dull.
Looking for 250!!!!! (Hp's that is..)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »

I ended up getting a rod knock in one of my motors after it ran low on oil & starved around a hard corner. That sucked. Pulled it out & did my BP+T and awd conversion to 'fix' the issue :D

There's an adapter plate on eBay that would allow you to run a T25/28 frame turbo, but it seems that some turbos have issues clearing the block with it. As a machinist you should be able to come up with something similar yourself, it's a 1/2" plate with some holes in it lol. I'll probably make my own when I get to that point. (I'm not a machinist per se, but I have a mill & lathes and I can somewhat use them lol)

Of course a custom manifold would never hurt anything either! Capri ownership is never dull, personally I get immense satisfaction from having to make my own parts  ;D

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"