TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exhaust manifold  (Read 5301 times)

Phillip

Exhaust manifold
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »

I'm not sure of the process myself as I said my brother will take care of this. He has been welding since the late 70's, mostly stainless, titanium etc. so I'm confidant that he would know what to do.

JJ

Exhaust manifold
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »

Ok call me an amateur, but the heating in kiln, welding, and cooling slowly seems like it would work.

But, doesn't the manifold on the car heat/cool much faster, and even though you originally do the weld that way, won't it just crack due to normal driving on the car??

JJ

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Exhaust manifold
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Hey JJ!  You're correct on the car stuff, but this is the welding gig and the slow cool helps with the weld integrity. In theory the manifold doesn't heat as high as the kiln temps. I'm not a book educated student on this but it has to do with stabilizing the molecular structure prior to and after the repair. Gus
Pages: 1 [2]