TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: head lights  (Read 5153 times)

stantoncapri

head lights
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »

anybody know what can cause the headlights to only go up one at a time but never at the same time its crazy to me left one up this time maybe right one next time but never both at the same time please help going crazy thanks

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
head lights
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

Sounds like the headlight control module might be bad.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

blueamber

head lights
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:41:00 AM »

If the problem is repeatable, ALWAYS one or the other, then they have somehow managed to get out of sync with each other.  This usually happens when one or the other has been replaced.

Try disconnecting the battery, and manually move the one that's up to the lower position.  Reconnect the battery and you should be ok.

The controller is kind of dumb, and only knows to apply power to the headlight motors when told to...it doesn't know if they are out of sync.  It does remember some things however, and since it always has power applied to it (even with the key out of the ignition) it won't forget until you remove power to it.

If the headlights are kind of random however, you have motors that must be cleaned.  Hesitant raising, clicking sounds on slow raising, not up ever at times, all are symptoms.  It's straightforward to clean them up, takes a Saturday morning to do it.

What part of Florida are you in?  I'm in Brevard County.  We have gatherings occasionally and would be happy to put you onto our activity list...Chris

stantoncapri

head lights
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »

thanks for all the tips will try that. i have been putting them up or changing there position but never thought to reset them by setting them then take battery lose. hope it works. i am in the st.petersburg area just south of Tampa

stantoncapri

head lights
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

i tried the battery trick no luck i did it several times first one side then the other i looked at the linkage it seemed to be OK a little noisey some time but move real fast and pretty smooth the other guy said something about a bad module the parts store did not seem to have a clue and i told them about the other switch near the park brake handle the didn't even show it i am not sure what it is even for i like the little car its turbo and only has 78k just needs a few things i see some on this sight that are really nice  i thought about fixing this one up but a little nervous to put to much into it because of resale and don't know how dependable they are etc thanks for any help

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
head lights
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

I would recommend taking apart one of the motors and cleaning the rotary switch inside it. If they're stopping or jerking that's probably the case. Doesn't take too long to take them out and do.

The switch on the console is there to keep the lights up permanently. Useful if you live in an area that sees winter. Keep them up, keeps the headlight motors from stripping out the gear if the lights are frozen shut.

The autoparts stores are not going to be much help unfortunately, Russ @ roo-sport is your best bet
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
head lights
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

I got a few motors as well if Russ is out.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

blueamber

head lights
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »

OK... apparently my solution does not work every time, I swear that I synced headlight motors once this way before, but maybe it was on my son's Saturn SC2.

Plan B - if your motors are moving up and down ok, then you don't need to take them apart, 'cause they ARE working.

Do this...GUARANTEED to work...

1) Put the center console switch to the 'lowered' position.  This puts the out of sync headlight in the raised position.

2) Remove the plastic enclosure around the raised headlight, 4 phillips screws.  This lets you get access to the motor without removing anything else.

3) Use a 10mm socket to remove the nut holding the linkage to the motor.  

4) Remove the linkage from the motor, a little prying with a screwdriver will help it come off.

5) Put the center console switch to the 'raised' position.  The other headlight will raise, and the disconnected motor will spin.

6) Reconnect the linkage to the motor.  Make sure the linkage is straight cause that is the headlight up configuration.

7) Tighten the nut (not too tight)

8) Check the lights for proper operation

9) Put that trim back on.

This WILL work...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
head lights
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

I will say that the Capri module doesn't have a "Memory" or anything of the sort, I haven't really ever seen them get out of sync on a Capri. If they're mismatched it's always been a mechanical issue.

What does happen, if the motor's switch contacts are poor, the controller will command a change and if after a certain period of time the motor fails to report the change made, it will "give up" so as not to burn anything out.

It's a series of really basic logic circuits.
I believe actually that the motor disconnects itself once it has reached a certain rotational point via the rotary switch, and won't move again until power is applied to another pin...

That would make it literally impossible for the lights to go out of sync (one up, one down, and switch places) unless someone went and physically switched the motor's wires around

I bet the contacts just need cleaning.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

stantoncapri

head lights
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »

thanks for all the help,I have been slammed in my life so just now checking the advice here. I will try these and post how it goes thanks again for all the help