TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: On a DIET  (Read 4420 times)

CapriXR2

On a DIET
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:36:49 AM »

HOW DO I LOOSE WEIGHT! As in, what are the heaviest/easiest to remove/non essential bits... Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I raced a 2.0T Beetle who claimed 200hp it was neck and neck from a 15mph brake boosted roll into 3rd gear and I was inching ahead.... After he said its because he weighs 2900lbs where I THOUGHT I was closer to 22. curious later, I checked and, 2450 is closer to book curb weight! Surely into 2600 with me and my stuff..  I will shortly be making a hybrid turbo. I want it as fast as possible so where should I start to shed weight? On a side note I swear I previously saw possibly in a build thread pictures of the vj11/14 hybrid install.. If anyone knows what I am after a link would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Brian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:21:55 AM by CapriXR2 »

CapriXR2

Re: On a DIET
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:27:10 AM »

wow never mind I found it http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?35509-VJ-11-install on CP..

How do I loose that belly!?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

If you still have the A/C components & they don't work, that's an easy 20-25lbs. It gets a bit trickier after that.

The stock seats weigh a colossal amount. They have to be 40+ lbs each. Maybe go for something lighter?
The manifold support bracket under the intake manifold weighs a couple lbs.
Smaller battery, relocate it to position the weight better
Pull your spare tire if you're okay with that risk

Then after that you start to lose what it means to be a 'car' lol

The 14/11 hybrid is an awesome upgrade. Have you done a intake? full exhaust? front mount intercooler? Those will make a massive improvement even without the hybrid
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriXR2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »

Hey Matt, my A/C works and is all there.. Currently I have a cone filter, ported wastegate, manual controller, chip, exhaust. I had a larger front mount but it caused lag and worse throttle response.. Maybe the hybrid will need the larger FMIC. Will the stock one be too small for the hybrid?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »

How big did you go on the front mount? Too big will cause issues. So will boost leaks, when I did FMIC with my tbird hybrid, boost was not coming on til 4k. I fixed a few leaks (they were not detectable at idle) and that solved my lag/spool issues

The larger turbo won't 'need' the FMIC but done properly it makes a huge difference
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:58:30 PM »

Hey, Rocket - I think we should give him Joe's contact info......didn't he drop 600 pounds by swapping the seats and removing the bumper??  ;) ;) :o
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

CapriXR2

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:32:14 AM »

Well I was pushing 12-13 that day on cheap gas with my timing at 8 beat my buddies GSR coupe and able to keep up with a factory VW 200hp 2L turbo.. I am cool with that.. After the vj11/14 92 fuel and a small timing advance I should leave him far behind... I love my budget built sleeper wtf car!

The front mount is a decent size but not oversized....more than twice the OE.. When I previously installed the larger FMIC I had a local muffler shop bend me up some piping.. which they did a poor job of.. Routing is backwards! Anyway I think that was the biggest issue with that setup... It did pop off and leak on occasion always noticeable.. I was also trying to run a larger saab recirc at the time... With my external BOV it should be better... I will try it both ways when I get the turbo and do the swap.. It was noticeably better going back to stock before tho. I still have the parts and my front bumper has been zip tied on since haha.. If I didn't like the fogs I would remove those too the brackets are heavy...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:38:49 AM by CapriXR2 »

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:02:52 AM »

My friend has a 2013 turbo beetle and it weighs close to 3100 lbs.
I think the guy with the turbo Beetle actually meant to say "he wishes it weighed 2900 lbs"...LoL

CapriXR2

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »

2013 is that the new/retro look? The one I was with was not that new..

Got my VJ11 today after 10 hours it is now a hybrid 14/11.. I test drove it no fluid leaks but I have an exhaust leak.. A big one.. At the turbo not after.. Don't think it's the header.. I really don't want to pull it off again but what choice do I have?? Blah! I took it a few blocks it doesn't want to boost.. Idled fine before but was dying when I got back... Maybe I didn't click the Downpipe right? Was a tight fit..

CapriXR2

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »

I hope it's as simple as disassembly and reassembly I was smacking it to get the 14 turbine off.. If I cracked the iron I may not forgive myself..

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »

In your first post you mentioned the Beetle had a 2.0T.
The turbo 2.0L option was started in 2011 with the new redesign of the beetle and they all weigh well over 3000 LBS. The 2010 and older models were lighter, but the turbo was a 1.8L with 150hp(early years) or 180hp(later years).

As for you new turbo setup, hopefully you just have a leak in the plumbing and it’s nothing major.

CapriXR2

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »

Hmmm it wasn't the retro design.. Probly the last of the previous gen it was the new beetle with nicer wheels and body kit and said 20v turbo on the engine cover def just a 1.8T.. The owner did claim 200hp stock ... So really being neck and neck with a 180hp 6speed with my modified VJ14 isn't too shabby.. I will try to get a rematch this weekend and tell you guys how it goes..

The turbo was leaking at the housing where the chra slips in.. I had to remove and replace it 3 times total before all was figured out and fixed. The hybrid is now in place and working well with good AFR's although with my controller in place which was at 12psi on the VJ14 it was over boosting.. I removed the manual controller and have a straight vac line to the actuator now and it's at 16-18...  I don't think my actuators rod has enough movement to open the wastegate enough.. Either way it pulls hard with a better power band.. Recommend the hybrid to anyone seeking more ponies... A shout out to Matt and Clay for all the parts/pictures/insight and most of all patients..

I go off the stock boost gauge my aftermarket is out of whack.. Before it was spiking well over 15.. If the gauges numbers went farther it was around 20.. I let off immediately everytime.. Now at WOT it hovers just above 15.. I would say 16/17 no more than 18.. I know it's too high but I'm not pulling it apart a 4th time.. I did this with hand tools and ramps..  10hours to do the hybrid... 4+ hours to remove and replace..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:18:33 AM by CapriXR2 »

CapriXR2

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »

Alright I got some pulls in.. I walked a TiburonGt, Newer Civic SI with the K series, a 180HP VW Jetta 1.8T, and creeped past a Lexus IS300 from 50-100.. The VJhybrid is dope :)