TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: I need a computer  (Read 3716 times)

robbie1033

I need a computer
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

I think I need a computer for a 1991 Capri. Actually this is a SWAG.  the car just stops some times. I don't know what else to try.

eg

I need a computer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

i have a few .is it a turbo, or automatic trans, or just regular stock, if you want 1 and i have it price is 45.00 plus shipping .  etgaydos@cox.net  just let me know

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
I need a computer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »

I also have a NA 5 speed and a turbo one
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
I need a computer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »

Can you describe the symptoms? anything else wrong? Ignition module maybe?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

robbie1033

I need a computer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »

It is a auto,non turbo.  This mighty fine capri has had this problem for  about a year.But it is getting worse. It just would not start.  No spark.  I put in a junkyard dist.  It worked great for 6 months.  Then it would just stop sometimes. It would restart most of the time. I bought a new dist from Advanced Auto. It ran for a day.  It stopped again. It would not restart.  No spark. I returned the dist and they gave me another one.  It started right away.  It this point I replace the coil,plugs and plug wires. Fuel pump and filter.  The car ran for a half a day. It now runs for about 10 minutes then shuts down. Sometimes it will restart.  sometimes not.  When it does not start there is no spark.  If you come back later it probly will restart. I'm out of Ideas.  Changing the computer was just a SWAG.  Help

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
I need a computer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »

Whats the voltage your alernator is outputting? I wonder if components are being over-volted and burned up.

It sounds like the ignitor module in the distributor is crapping out. Its a mitsubishi made component, search ebay for "J208" you'll find it, thats the part number (may be listed for other mazda vehicles too). They used to come a lot cheaper than the few up there now. Generally this is the component that fails inside the distributor.

Whats the condition of the RFI suppressor on the top of the distributor? Its a little black box bolted down with a single wire attatched. Its supposed to filter RF interference and voltage spikes that can damage the ignitor.

Its just unusual for these to chronically fail like you describe, I'm trying to figure out what would repeatedly kill it.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

robbie1033

I need a computer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

this is for rocketman or some other expert.  i changed the computer.  no change.  when you first turn on the ignition switch  the fuel pump should turn on for just a second.  it does not it has a new fuel pump. fuel pump relay has not been changed yet.  we still have no spark.  we have power to the coil. leaning toward main relay.  help

eg

I need a computer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »

just to make sure i would put a gauge in line with the fuel filter, once the system reaches proper pressure it shouldnt turn the fuel pump back on unless it senses a presure drop.  oh and the mass air flow sensor will keep the fuel pump off if the vane/gate is stuck closed.  might help or not .

Phillip

I need a computer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »

The fuel pump has nothing to do with the spark RM sounds right. It's a common problem.

manuel

I need a computer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »

did u ever find out whats wrong with your car mine is doing the same thing
manuel r

darqueyes

I need a computer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

My '91 did the same thing it was the ignition module.  The module overheats and the car dies as if someone turned the key off.  After the module cools down it start right up.  After a while the damage to the module gets worse and it fails faster and takes longer to restart.  Try that.
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

robbie1033

I need a computer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »

yes you were right it was the dist.  it's running great now.