TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Occasionally idle gets stuck at 1500 rpm?  (Read 2825 times)

delhiboy3732

Occasionally idle gets stuck at 1500 rpm?
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

Title says it all, sometimes it just does not want to idle below 1500. Few minutes later I restart it and it seems to idle fine. Any ideas?

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »

mine does the same thing, seems to do it more once the car is warm..

i was thinking it was that idle valve with the coolant lines going to it..

going to mess with it eventually..since i only drive it to and from work 10 miles round trip it does not bother me as much
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »

check your idle air controll, also check the dashpot on the throttle body ...

its the round mushroom looking thing that sticks straight up from the left side of the TB.. what it does is slow the closing of the throllle body so if you let off the gas fast it dosent let the TB slam closed.. its also why the car idles down smooth... these can stick a bit and cuase the TB to stay open slightly and make it idle high...

the engine should idle a bit higher when it is warming up.. but once it comes to operating temp it should idle right arround 850-900 rpm ...

a way to check it, is the next time you get it to do it. pop the hood with it running and try to close the throttle body all the way.. if it idles down when forced closed then its the dashpot, and if there is no change, it may be an idle air controll...either way i have a spare of each if you end up needing one...Joe...

220hp@18psi

delhiboy3732

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »

Thank you guys for your reply.

I have already checked my throttle body and cleaned it really good. The problem like you suggested seems to be with the IAC but like I said it does not happen all the time.

No way to clean that?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

I have heard of guys soaking it in lime away.
Clay