TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 2518 times)

mustangman1990

Transmission
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »

Bought a XR2 with transmission problems. Tore it down to fix it but seems that is may be a transmission from a non-turbo Capri. Any idea how I can tell for sure if it is a turbo or non-turbo transmission and if it matters. Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Transmission
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

The non-turbo trans uses a hydraulic clutch system, the XR2 uses a cable

If its a true XR2 then it would take an awful lot of work to make an n/a trans work in it, pedal assembly, axles, clutch, flywheel all need to be swapped.

Can you post up pictures? I could tell you right away.

What were the transmission issues?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mustangman1990

Transmission
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

That is just what I was needing to know. I will get some pics up soon. One of the carrier bearings went out and caused a fluid leak that I guess was not caught in time which ran the trans dry and siezed 1st gear onto the shaft. Easy fix just gota find the parts. My parts suppliers are gona call me in the morning with some good news I hope.

mustangman1990

Transmission
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Transmission
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Yes thats a turbo transmission.

The overheated area is where the synchro rides...which gear is that?

Are you going to trust that trans after rebuilding? There are spare used trans floating around, maybe cheaper? I've seen $100-300 depends where you look.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mustangman1990

Transmission
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »

That is first gear. Depends on the price of the parts if I just get another one. I found one locally for 350 bucks. The rest of the trans looks good so I wouldnt be afraid to run it after I replace the broke stuff.

mustangman1990

Transmission
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

Well they could not find me the shaft so I bought a whole trany for 250 bucks. So if anybody ever needs any trany parts I will keep them around. Or if anybody has one for parts to sale I would like to buy it and build a good one. This car has some mods done to it already I think it used to belong to one of the members on here(icurunnin)but I cant be sure because he will not respond to me. I would like to know if they are good mods or if anyone knows any history on the car.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Transmission
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »

From what I can remenber the car was owned by a lawyer in the Dallsa area. He sunk a ton of money into that car and motor. Somewhere in the range of 10K as it was stated in a Craigslist ad.
Clay

mustangman1990

Transmission
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

Thats awesome thanks for the info