TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Alternator issue  (Read 2092 times)

dam55

Alternator issue
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »

Battery is good (load tested) cables and connections are good. Belt is good. With that said. The alternator is new X 2. Both tested good at auto shop but when on the car at charging rpm the voltage decreases and maintains at idle. Anyone have any suggestions Please!!! 1992 XR2

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Alternator issue
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

make sure the connector polarity is correct on the alt? my guess
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Alternator issue
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »

Perhaps the battery load tests fine but isnt charging properly? How old is the battery? are the alt connections in good shape?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

a97sky

Alternator issue
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »

Also make sure all your bolts on the alternator are locked down so the belt is tight. The alternator is the tensioner for that belt. I had a similar problem a while back and realized after tightening the belt everyday that the bolts were working themselves loose because they were covered in grease from an oil leak i had. Cleaned the bolts and never had the problem again.

dam55

Alternator issue
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

Thank you to all who replied. I did find the problem 3 alternators later and alot of hair pulling. Ended up that the trunk cargo light switch was shorting out and caused a constant draw.  I narrowed it down by connecting a test light between the negative terminal and the battery post and pulling fuses one at a time until the light went out, then checking that circuit throughout.
Thanks again,

Darryl