TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: So I'm on eBay looking for parts....  (Read 5071 times)

Yzzerdd

So I'm on eBay looking for parts....
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

And I come across the most absurd thing I've ever seen. An "Air Razor" that supposedly makes the air being sucked in to the intake vortex, cooling the air, and thusly boosting horsepower and gas mileage. Anybody hear of this? Here's the link for those who wonder:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-94-Mercury-Capri-Add-Horsepower-Save-on-Gas_W0QQitemZ350211386852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518a39ade4&_trksid =p4506.c0.m245

Anyhow, I was looking for a defroster switch, for pricing information. I've been looking into a hardtop, and as it seems, I'd have to hook up a defroster switch for it to work. Anybody have any information on this? Is the wiring already there, just needing a switch?

--Ryan

tellerx

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

Yes there is one of those puppies for sale on there ran across it on ebay last monday

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »

Hey Lizard!  Those were on late night info-mercials around these parts a few years ago. I t might work if a-top a carb directly but not on our or any other injected or turbo-injected cars. The so-called swirl or Vortex action is negated immediately long before the atomization of fuel, especially the way our injection is put together.  Gus

Yzzerdd

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't do much anything for our cars, with the AFM and all.

So back to my other question, is the wiring all there for the defroster? Will I just need to add in a switch? If I can't find a switch, can I just jump two wires together to activate the defroster?

--Ryan

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »

Hey Gizzard!  Come-on now, Jump some wires! You're banned from this fine forum. Yes the wire harness is there to plug the switch in. Usually when you buy a hard-top, the switch is also offered, though not always.  Gus

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »

Ryan-
You will need a relay, as well as a switch. I have both for sale if you are still looking.  email me at cougar1prod@comcast.net, and I can give you details, including where the relay gets plugged in!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Phillip

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

Looks like it would restrict the air flow to me!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

in *theory* these devices work...commonly called a "turbolator"

But think about it...the air has to go through the throttlebody...which is a big valve...and then into the manifolds PLENUM which 'pools' the air and settles it...which would totally defeat any circular incoming air...and then into each cylinder past a flat topped valve...no go guys.

Some people swirl polish valves to achieve a kind of this effect...certain engine designs like the GM 60* V6 inherintly do this with valve placement...but those are 2v heads. 4v heads breath better anyways...
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

georelle

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »

Russ
If Ryan does not need the defroster switch and relay you offered I might be interested. I just picked up a hard top off ebay last week and it did not come with the defrost switch and relay. It also did not come with the left & right interior side covers or the rear bolt. I think I can come up with the rear bolt but if you have any of the other items let me know. I was planning on just picking up a rocker switch and relay at the auto parts store and wiring it in. Not too concerned about having the original equipment but it would be nice.
I am currently repainting the hard top black and replacing the headliner. It will be nice for this winter here in South Dakota.
Thanks
Georelle

Yzzerdd

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Nahh, go ahead and take it. You need the defroster more than i do. I'm in Texas.

--Ryan

georelle

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

Ryan
Do you get frost in Texas?? You have first dibs so it is yours if you want it. I only want it if you don't.
I am still kicking around the idea of the rocker switch from the auto parts store. I am actually thinking of putting that in the ash tray area along with a USB & auxillary jack for the stereo. I found a stereo that has a rear USB & Aux in jack. I can get some panel mount jacks from the computer store and mount the switch and jacks under the ash tray lid. Of course an OEM switch and relay would be alot less work.
I was working on the hard top tonight and I have it all sanded. Need to do a little bondo on the creases I can't get to. But overall it is turning out good. I will have it painted on Saturday. Sunday I will get the head liner material replaced and put back in. Then it will be ready for the winter and rain.
Tonight I noticed the plug on the hard top and the plug on the drivers side under the rear lid do not match. Anybody run into this before?
  -Georelle

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

I have the relay, switch, and side bolt covers for the hardtop. Just drop me an email at cougar1prod@comcast.net!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Yzzerdd

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

We do get frost and even snow sometimes. But, I don't even have a hard top yet. You're a few steps ahead of me. I don't want a defroster switch right now. Someday, when I have more money, I will come across a hardtop and the defroster switch. And maybe even factory fog lights and that switch as well(which I've found on eBay).

Like I said, she's all yours.

--Ryan

georelle

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »

Thanks Ryan. Wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes.
By the way I saw the air razor on ebay and thought it looked like pretty absurd as well. I fear there is probably some kid out there bolting one up to his civic.
Russ- email has been sent.
Thanks Gents.
Georelle