TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Brakes again  (Read 4561 times)

capriguyJohn

Brakes again
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »

does anyone know where I can get an anchor clip for the brake pads in the rear without purchasing a new caliper? Thanks

Colorado1

Brakes again
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »

Check your in box. I'm pretty sure you mean that little metal part on the top and bottom where each brake pad goes into right?

rcdraco

Brakes again
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »

Normally those are included in a brake hardware kit, depending on the pads you buy it might be included.  Prices off rockauto are around $10, a reputable parts store may be able to nail it in the $15 range on a special order.  I can't find a picture of the kit to be sure, and I haven't gotten a chance to ever change my rear pads, but I'm certain that it's the right part if they're the only clips back there touching the pad.

capriguyJohn

Brakes again
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »

Just spent the morning in the junkyard found a Capri that wasn't touched yet took it apart and I found only 1 clip so I'm guessing they are only supposed to have 1. So I grabbed it any way just in case. One more thing though does the caliper have to be turned in to put the new brakes on

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Brakes again
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »

Yes, you might need a tool, or get creative with pliers. The piston has to be rotated and forced in simultaneously in order to retract.

Which J-yard did you hit? Harry's Hazleton?

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

capriguyJohn

Brakes again
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »

I have the little square tool for the calipers I went to anthracit in Scranton . I really can't wait for these brakes to be done so I can drive it again.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Brakes again
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

Yeah that cube tool is what you need. Let me know if you get her running maybe we can organize a spring cruise one day - my baby needs some work too before I can bring her out.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

Brakes again
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

There's a little metal spring looking square thing that you probably picked up @ the junk yard. If that's your part then each caliper has a top & bottom one(2) that is for the 2 brake pads on each side. I was actually curios if you were able to get your trailing arm bolts out or if they were rusted stuck? Mine were a nightmare. The PM I sent you earlier about those little parts is still open if you need them. Turn your pistons so they fit in the pad notch if you're wondering why they caliper won't drop back down.

rcdraco

Brakes again
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

Just for curiosity sake, are our rear pistons one of the 6 on the die of caliper tools, or is it something uncommon like a VW?

capriguyJohn

Brakes again
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »

As far as I know it isn't uncommon and is one of the 6 hope this helps

JJ

Brakes again
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »

Yes, you might need a tool, or get creative with pliers. The piston has to be rotated and forced in simultaneously in order to retract.

boy did I ever learn this the hard way.  :(

rcdraco

Brakes again
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »

Normal auto parts stores sell that tool for $10 or so, but if you happen to have a folding set of needle nose pliers it should work just fine, as long as you don't need a heap of force to turn them in.

capriguyJohn

Brakes again
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »

Got the rear brakes done taking it to a local garage to get the fronts done and inspected hopefully the Capri will be on the road again soon! Thanks for everyone's help