TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Ran great, now won't start  (Read 1902 times)

LILREDXR2

Ran great, now won't start
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »

I did a coolant flush on XR2 and it was running great. Went out next morning, it wouldn't start. I thought the water I got into the open VAF shorted it out. So I got another VAF and it started, barely. Sputtered the whole time it was running. Took VAf off to do the VAF hack as I am running a blow through setup. It won't start again. I swapped out computer and found a little corrosion on one of the pins. I cleaned it up, but still no start. It tries to but won't "catch". I have installed a new cap, rotor,Jacobs wires, Jacobs coil and copper core plugs. I will reset the VAF back to where it was and try again. Any other ideas? Dizzy pickup, ground wires, TPS, etc.....

I did a search for this problem and everytime it looks like the thread is leading into something it gets hijacked and goes into a different direction.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

Does the tach jump when you are cranking, and if so, are you getting spark at any of the plugs? (dizzy pickup or thermostat ground, coil if tach present)
Will the motor start when you use starting spray/fluid? (fuel pump inop)
Have you tried jumpering the fuel pump relay via the firewall connector? (fuel pump inop due to pump switch in VAF faulty)

I'm also curious as to why you're running a blow-through VAF, once you get things sorted I'd like you to elaborate on your setup.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

LILREDXR2

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »

I have fuel pressure as per fuel pressure gauge. It wants to start but just not quite there. Also, I ran the car without the ground to the thermostat housing and it seemed to run fine, but I realized I forgot it and reinstalled it. Thats when things started running strange or not at all. This car has always been a beast and never failed me, EVER! I know it may be something simple I am missing. Just a note I had the installed blow through and it ran great prior to this. The reason for blow thru vaf is I ran blow thru very successfully on the Ford 2.3 w/ 8ua computer in a Foxbody and a Probe 2.2 turbo motor both had larger injectors and had clean AFRs on the wideband through idle and under boost. Had Mopar 52s in the 2.3 and RX7 460s in the 2.2. I have 550s in the 1.6 now and she was running beautifully until this happened.