TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: rear axle replacement  (Read 2264 times)

keyfoot

• 1993 mercury Capri xr2
rear axle replacement
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:11:21 AM »

Hi, well I have a 93 xr2.

Long story short, hit a curb with my left rear wheel, now that wheel looks like this \  \

Its not the rim, and it still spins freely, wondering if I have to replace a half shaft or the whole axle.  If I have to replace the axle, are there good places to get them or suitable axles from other models?

Has anyone here changed the rear axle themselves? If so how hard was it

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: rear axle replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:38 AM »

Hi and welcome to TeamCapri!

The Capri is front wheel drive, so there's no axles or half-shafts back there.

There is an undriven spindle, bolted to a strut and supported by two lateral links and a trailing arm. I'd suspect that these components will all need replacing. The rear subframe where the two lateral links bolt might need to be checked but I wouldn't bet that is damaged

Not sure if I'd trust the spindle to be re-used, the caliper maybe. You could try running it as-is after replacing the other bits.

You can grab these parts from any other 91-94 Capri, they're all rear disk brakes and no variations in design (except for the 94 turbo model, but these are very rare) The only other direct fit items would come from an 88/89 Mazda 323 turbo sedan, but these are extremely rare as well. You may be able to use the links from a 88/89 323 base model, but they have drum rear brakes.

Some of the parts are available new, try Russ @ Roo-sport or research the Mazda compatibilities.

Hope this helps!

For reference here is a capri rear end ("axle") removed from the vehicle, sans the subframe
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

keyfoot

• 1993 mercury Capri xr2
Re: rear axle replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »

Ah, OK its independent, havnt had a Chance to jack it up and see what's up, have a truck stuck in the garage getting its seals redone. And six inches of snow outside.

Any rough estimate the parts will cost me to for the parts?