TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 92 XR2 window switches  (Read 2636 times)

David Young

• 1993 XR2
92 XR2 window switches
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

Hello all.  I have a couple sets of window switches that work.  I am trying to not have to take mine apart and clean them as much.  I thought that if I had a couple sets, that I could alternate them.  Can anybody tell me why the switches out of a 91 NA will not work in my 92 XR2?  When I switch them out, the passenger window will only work from the master switch.  Is there a wiring difference?

David
David A. Young

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »

I do have a guide written up to clean them. Its really simple, just do it on a table somewhere where you can't drop the parts.

http://www.werbatfik.com/switches/
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

David Young

• 1993 XR2
92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »

I have taken them apart and cleaned them Rocket.  I thought that I would get them all cleaned up; that way I would't have to keep cleaning the same ones all the time.  I end up cleaning my master switch twice a year.  Why won't the 91 NA switches work in a 92 XR2?  Is there any way to get them to?
David A. Young

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »

Dave-
They should work fine.  I swap them from other years all the time!  You may have a problem in the wiring of the '92!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

David Young

• 1993 XR2
92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »

That's what I thought.  Where do I begin?  I am going to look at two switches, side by side and see if the wires are in the plugs in the same position.  It could be a factory 'hiccup'.
David A. Young

DashingDaryl

92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »

My guess is that it really isn't a switch problem because I don't really think you should have to clean the switchs that often. I think it is a motor lubrication problem. I think there is significant resistance in the motor or cables, which causes your motor to draw lots of power through your switches. I am theorizing that since your 92 switches don't activate the window, it is because the contacts have worn down too much to carry the load. I would try lubing the cable/regulator so your motor can get by on less power.It won't hurt and probably will solve the problem.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

get yourself a 94 center console and rewire them to run off those switches. I did that and they worked perfect.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Colorado1

92 XR2 window switches
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »

I had the same problem as the first post. I found the wiring that went to the motor from the switch wasn't fastened & would go down under the window when down(sometimes  blowing those 30 amp fuses. Just tied and tucked it behind the switch. No problems now.