TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Hesitation and idle stumble  (Read 4100 times)

CapriXR2

Hesitation and idle stumble
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:46:59 PM »

Hey, I have a 91 XR2, 102k. I have a hesitation that feels like fuel cut. My exhaust snaps and pops it sounds like anti lag. I think it is my VAF, I cleaned it, it was better for a day. It will hesitate at 55 MPH if you hold it steady for a mile or so, usually can push through it. It also hesitates at 2800 RPM in second gear almost every time. The Longest hesitation was 3 seconds or so. It also idles at 900rpm if I try to turn it down it bogs a second then bounces back up to 900. At most stop lights the idle will drop to 500 shutter a second and bounce back. All gauges are good and no dash lights are on.

What are your thoughts on a fix?

Thanks
Brian

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Re: Hesitation and idle stumble
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »

When's the last time you tuned it up? Plugs, wires, dizzy cap, roto...Also, might want to check your timing. Could be a clogged fuel filter, too.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:34:23 AM »

+2 on the tuneup. I am battling fuel issues right now with crap in the tank.

Also go over the intake tract - all the pre-turbo & post turbo hoses in addition to the vacuum lines, vacuum & boost leaks will wreak havoc on these cars.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »

I changed my timing from 12 to 10 to 8 BTDC. Plugs are new, wires are good I should check my disty... Timing belt has less than 5k on it.. In the process of replacing intake piping with custom hard pipe. Will also have larger recirc.

CapriXR2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »

New fuel filter still does it.. Looking for a good write up on how to test our vaf

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

www.techcapri.com has service manual scans, and Tonlaw71 has some on a Google Drive somewhere. There will be a table for testing it with a multimeter

CapriXR2

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:35:44 AM »

I have replaced my intercooler, intake pipes and recirc valve. Now the car runs great! It feels crisp and strong. My stock recirc had oil in it.. I think it was causing my hesitation.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »

Thanks for the update! Did the other stuff have oil in it? That could be a sign of a worn out turbocharger.

Sounds like you may have have had a leak in the intake tract somewhere. An oily bypass valve will not cause a hesitation like that.

CapriXR2

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »

The old charge tubes/ intercooler were clean. The vacuum hose for the recirc had oil in it..