TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Installing new CV axles  (Read 3182 times)

Sparky2009

Installing new CV axles
« on: November 11, 2009, 05:04:00 AM »

Hi all.  I just ordered two new front CV axle halfshafts.  Can anyone tell me if I must also replace front wheel bearings to install these?
Do you think two reasonably intelligent adults can get the rotors off to install these?

D.Smith

Installing new CV axles
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »

I replaced my passenger side cv axle.  On a scale of 1-10 I rated it at a 4.  I am fortunate as I had a mechanic in the background if I needed any assistance and I was using his tools and lift.  It was at that time I learned about the bearings, spacer and other issues that is involved.  I did replace just cause I was tearing it apart but I did not feel I needed to.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Installing new CV axles
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

By removing the axle you have the ability to disassemble the hub and bearing assembly, the axle nut holds all that together. You can leave that along though, you can replace just the axle without messing with the bearings.

However if replacing rotors you will be exposing the bearings
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"