TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Capri engine temp  (Read 2724 times)

Sparky2009

Capri engine temp
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »

Ok.. Another question..
Does everyone have high engine temps in thier Capris?
My car has 85k miles and was serviced religiously. It seems like under any normal "stop and go" driving conditions, the temp always creeps up near 225.
I've also only seen the fan operating one time.
The fan never seems to run.
Do a lot of you have this problem.
And I did check.. The radiator was replaced two years ago and flushed many times.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Capri engine temp
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

The fan switch or temp sensor may not be operating correctly. These engines will always run in the top range of the gauge but shouldnt approach the 225 mark. You've seen the fan run before?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

delhiboy3732

Capri engine temp
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »

My car also use to reach the 225 at idle. I bought a new fan switch and I bet the fan still maintains it only at 200 to be the least. Yes mine still goes a little about 200 before the fan kicks in.

Yzzerdd

Capri engine temp
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

Wait wait wait...SHOULDNT approach the 225 mark? Damn, thats where mine is at what I thought was normal operating temperature. May be low on coolant. My fan works just fine. OTOH, according to a Ford TSB, my Capri may have faulty Oil/Temp guages. They say that the guages in a certain period of time were miscalibrated and may need replacing, where oil pressure reads low and temp reads high during normal conditions--both of which happens on my Capri...kindof. When idling, my oil pres reads rather low, a little above the red line. When driving, it reads just below half-way.

Article 93-3-10 under official Ford TSB's, 91.

--Ryan

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Capri engine temp
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »

the dash guages are scarry inaccurate ...my aftermarket guages read about 200* when my cooling fan kicks in, and about 12-14psi oil pressure at idle when warm ... its not good for it but ive seen over 225 a time or two when tuning, and running lean under high boost, and on a cold morning ive seen the oil pressure as high as 50 psi on a cold start... we thought we were gonna mess up an engine or two until we relized that the oil pressure is just amazingly low on the idle when warm .... if the oil is not there, the valvetrain will be noticeably noisy

so if is sounds normal and it has all its power . your fine just drive it...

220hp@18psi

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Capri engine temp
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »

ok so mine was creeping PAST 225... 230...240... peaked around 245 today... turns out somehow i lost 2 liters of coolant

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Capri engine temp
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »

careful grant youll blow a headgasket if it gets too hot.... then youll be up shits creek guy, and we'll all have to go diggin for parts for ya, and its just a PITA.. so just keep it under the 225* mark guy....

220hp@18psi

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Capri engine temp
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »

which is why i pulled over into that gas station to get some coolant.

tip: keep a gallon in your trunk