Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Brakes/Suspension/Tires/Wheels

Rear Brake Upgrade

(1/2) > >>

Original_Owner:
I was planning on making it an open source upgrade anyway. Its not nearly fully developed, still has a ways to go, basically it is the following:

Hub - 65 Mustang 6 Cyl front drum hub - C3DZ-1107-HUB - has a 4x4.5 pattern.
Disc/Caliper - 2005 Nissan Sentra, various rear sizes up to 10.94" (SE-R Spec V) - 4x4.5 pattern.
Parking brake cable - TBD.
Uses the stock Capri inner bearing and 65 Mustang outer bearing. Custom caliper bracket and spacers.

Slightly concerned about having a "mushy" pedal especially with upgraded front calipers. Again not fully sorted, so if someone else wants to try, here is a possible path.

Updated...Spacers are not custom, these are off off the shelf as well, only caliper bracket is custom. Does anyone know of a larger bore master cylinder that will bolt up?

greywolf27030:
WOW......good luck.

EShepherd:

--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on March 07, 2023, 08:30:37 AM ---WOW......good luck.

--- End quote ---

So I see the hub can be had for $100. Idk if I've mentioned here, but I work for Nissan and can get my hands on basically any OEM parts for cost. If you wanna send me some pictures of what you've figured out so far, maybe I can grab some parts and see if I can't work on it too. The fact that our rear calipers are un-obtainium has me super nervous, as a 32 year old brake caliper just feels like a recipe for disaster. Someone needs to figure out a rear end swap for the Capri soon, or we are all going to end up with no rear brakes.  :-X

greywolf27030:

--- Quote from: EShepherd on March 09, 2023, 05:22:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on March 07, 2023, 08:30:37 AM ---WOW......good luck.

--- End quote ---

So I see the hub can be had for $100. Idk if I've mentioned here, but I work for Nissan and can get my hands on basically any OEM parts for cost. If you wanna send me some pictures of what you've figured out so far, maybe I can grab some parts and see if I can't work on it too. The fact that our rear calipers are un-obtainium has me super nervous, as a 32 year old brake caliper just feels like a recipe for disaster. Someone needs to figure out a rear end swap for the Capri soon, or we are all going to end up with no rear brakes.  :-X

--- End quote ---

For the time being, you can take your calipers to Advance Auto and they will send it to Cardone for rebuild. Price is reasonale and takes about 10 days.

chrispoe:
I found your proposed rear brake upgrade using the 65 V6 Mustang hub interesting, so I spent some time researching if it was possible and here’s what I found.

The Capri’s inner bearing will work, but the Mustang’s outer bearing for the 4 lug hub doesn’t look like it’ll fit the Capri spindle. The Mustang’s outer bearing has an inside diameter of 0.687” while the Capri’s outer bearing has an inside diameter of 0.75”.

I think the confusion comes from the fact the V6 Mustang had 3 different brake options, standard drums, heavy duty drums, and disc brakes. It’s the 5 lug HD drum hub that has the outer bearing that will fit the Capri spindle, unfortunately it’s 5 lug and the inner bearing is too big in diameter and width for the Capri’s spindle.

I also did a search thru some bearing catalogs and found the NTN A6075/A6157 bearing that would fit the Capri’s outside spindle, but it would still require 45 thousands to be machined out of the 4 lug V6 hub. It would also require spacers due to it being narrower in width. The other issue was it only had static/dynamic load capacity of 12,800N verse the stock Capri’s 29,000N. So how long it would last would be highly questionable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version