Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Brakes/Suspension/Tires/Wheels

Galant Brake Upgrade (Big Brake Kit!)

<< < (17/17)

WashiestSnake:
Intresting from where I was looking it was listed as fronts, seems as though it's impossible to get slotted rotors from the front.

Rocketman:
Don't bother with the slotted or slotted/drilled rotors - they end up causing issues long term. They're intended for track cars with aggressive pads that off-gas a lot (the features vent the gasses). These get replaced often on a track car and don't stay on long.

The slotted/drilled rotors tend to develop small cracks, and don't do much as street pad materials dont off-gas like a track pad would

belleaudb:
Some changes have been made to my original post. Those changes are in BOLD.

I have ordered the parts for my Big Brake conversion. I will get started once temperatures get into the 60's.

Here is what I have ordered:

A1 Cardone Ultra weatherproof coated calipers: 19P1337A left, 19P1336A right

Bendix TitaniuMetallic pads: MKD473

Centric 12146014 rotors  x2

Timken SET11 bearings  x4

National 710323 outer seal   x2

National 4990 inner seal   x2

Dorman 610543 wheel stud  x8  M12-1.50 ; 12.95mm Knurl; 53.0mm Length (longer for my aftermarket wheels)

I utilized wheel studs that were longer than specified in the original article. The studs specified would allow only 5 turns of the lug nuts to torque down the wheels. Not enough thread engagement for my comfort. So I went with even longer studs which will allow more thread engagement.

My friend has a lathe that will be used to turn the hubs down. At the same time I will also be making hubcentric spacers from aluminum.

I will be painting the rotor hats and outer edge with VHT high temperature clear paint to keep the rotors from rusting.

Bearings will be packed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

The last time I replaced the front bearings (2010)  it was impossible to use my hydraulic press for some of the work. This time I have a new Press support block plate which will allow the spindle to be supported properly.

My total cost for all the parts and supplies came to just under $150.00

I am ready for winter to be finished. I have spring fever now!!!

greywolf27030:

--- Quote from: belleaudb on February 21, 2019, 09:24:19 AM ---I have ordered the parts for my Big Brake conversion. I will get started once temperatures get into the 60's.

Here is what I have ordered:

A1 Cardone Ultra weatherproof coated calipers: 19P1337A left, 19P1336A right

Bendix TitaniuMetallic pads: MKD473

Centric 12146014 rotors  x2

Timken SET11 bearings  x4

National 710323 outer seal   x2

National 4990 inner seal   x2

Dorman 610518 wheel stud  x8  M12-1.50 ; 12.95mm Knurl; 43.0mm Length

My friend has a lathe that will be used to turn the hubs down. At the same time I will also be making hubcentric spacers.

I will be painting the rotor hats and outer edge with VHT high temperature clear paint to keep the rotors from rusting.

Bearings will be packed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

The last time I replaced the front bearings (2010)  it was impossible to use my hydraulic press for some of the work. This time I have a new Press support block plate which will allow the spindle to be supported properly.

My total cost for all the parts and supplies came to just under $150.00

I am ready for winter to be finished. I have spring fever now!!!

--- End quote ---

Cool....Jack Byrd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version