TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Car not running on all 4  (Read 2716 times)

oz-fire

• TeamCapri Supporter
Car not running on all 4
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:33:21 AM »

I have an N/A Capri project car, that I'm slowly restoring. My problem is that it appears to be running on only three cylinders. Today I replaced the suspect spark plug and lead, however no change. There is plenty of spark to the plug. Any suggestions , where do I look next   

blueamber

Re: Car not running on all 4
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »

What makes you suspect a certain plug? Is it wetter or colored differently from the others?

Best is to perform a compression test.  You can borrow a tester from places like Autozone.

If OK compression then an injector may be malfunctioning.  Keep at it!

oz-fire

• TeamCapri Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »

When I remove the lead from plug 4 and it makes no difference to the running engine , however when I remove a lead from plugs 1 to 3 the engine revs drop

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »

In that case compression test is definitely the next step.  My last Capri with 0 compression had a burnt exhaust valve on #3.  That was my first engine tear-down to head removal, spent lots of hours and about $400 in head work and new valve, new gaskets, new torque wrench, and 12 point socket for head bolt removal...

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »

Yeah, the machine shop said a couple of my exhaust valves were burnt but he was able to grind and save. It must be a common problem or results of an underlying problem. My head only cost $175 but he's an old friend of mine.

#4 is your suspect. Go to Advance or AutoZone and borrow a compression tester. With 94k my cylinders were all around 141. You'll notice a big difference on #4 from the rest.

The only other thought is to make sure #4 is firing. The easiest way is to hook a timing light to that cylinder or you can pull the plug and ground it. A cracked distributor cap can arc out a particular cylinder. Sometimes you remove the cap and watch inside it as someone cranks the motor. You'll see a blue arc as it carbon tracks. In the dark helps but you can see it in daylight. Hopefully that's your cheaper problem.