TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: turbo question  (Read 3335 times)

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
turbo question
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »

hey guys i have the chip from rocketman and lost of stuff done.. and i am running 15 or 16 psi on the turbo.. how long are your turbo lasting?? shit mine is going again but i caught it this time its got less then a year on it and this is the thrid time???   does back surgeing case this to happen faster then normal or what i know i got the oil volume and pressure   but my thruse bearing is going out again it has play in it grrrr grrrr  why???

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
turbo question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »

do you keep rebuilding the same one?

is it professionally done or personally...

that seems way too fast
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

bryanknight

turbo question
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

no they brand dam new centers both of them

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
turbo question
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

You're running a TurboXS type RFL BOV...those will kill our turbos very quickly. The piston is too heavy and they dont work effectively under 10psi of boost...which means massive compressor surge.

I killed the turbo in my first XR2 with one of those. Sold it and bought a knockoff HKS SSQV. Awesome BOV, it can work off only 2-3psi pressure differential. Its got a twin stage outlet, one that responds for low boost and one that opens for high boost and high flow. I've heard the Greddy type RS bov is a good inbetween BOV as well
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

turbo question
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »

I use the RBV-25 and vent back to the intake.

bhazard

turbo question
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »

Does compressor surge really kill these turbos that quickly? My Tbird has 170,000 miles on it with the stock turbo and no bov/bpv and no play in it.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

bryanknight

turbo question
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

dude this is my number 4 turbo and ihave not put 5000 miles on it yet and thats the onlything thats not changed since i bought this dam thing i have the oil and pressure for it so its got to be something   and are you sure u dont have a bov or bpv that dont seem possible   or you got a mager leak somewhere

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo question
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »

Hey Bryan! There is something about running our cars to high boost and then sudden deceleration. This is the kind of stuff that happens while auto-crossing or road racing. I destroyed two turbos, one an old unit and a fresh re-built unit before adding a BOV to the intake. I don't recall what unit it is but it did stop the mayhem. You might go on Rocket's recommendation. Too bad I didn't have you on my list to visit as I drove past your way a couple of weeks ago. I spent the night in Gatlinburg.  Gus

bryanknight

turbo question
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

yeah i am going to buy that ssqv or what ever he said  and yeah i would have been nice to talk to someone about these car thats knows something lol i am about 60  miles from there in knoxville but we go there all the time just to drive around   maybe you should put me on that list lol

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo question
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »

Hey Bryan! It was a quickly put together list. I have my daughter in nashville with new twin boys and a three year-old daughter. I may be back later this year but not with a capri like this time. I'll be in touch if it looks to happen.  Gus

bryanknight

turbo question
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

ok guys look the turbo guy called me and side that there was NO wear on the compress side and all the wear is on the exhaust side??? he said the only things that cause that are over boost and something to do with the oil but he said he knows people thats over boost them for years and not prblems   so any ideas why mine just last about 5 to 6 months??  i have 2.5 exhaust all the way back turbo to muffle and flow threw muffle good thing is if i keep and i on it only cause 100 bucks to put new barings in it so thats good BUT WHY WHY WHY is it doin this????

bryanknight

turbo question
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

???