TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Joining the elite!  (Read 3080 times)

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
Joining the elite!
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »

Hey everyone!  I have just joined the elite ranks of the Capri XR2 owners.  I acquired a 91 XR2 from the second owner.  He bought the car from the original owner who parked the car over 15 years ago.  She has less than 90,000 miles on her.  I'm looking forward to reading the forum and gathering knowledge from all the Capri vets here.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Re: Joining the elite!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Hope you enjoy yourself here. Give a shout if you have any questions, we're here to help!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »

I hope you're using the term "elite" loosely  :P haha.

Welcome to the forum! Some of the best info & most knowledgeable folks about these cars call this little place home.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

Well, I've had a chance to look over my 91 Capri XR2.  She is in remarkably good shape.  Everything works as it should except for the cruise control.  I'll be working on that soon enough.  I replaced the shifter bushings, which were completely gone.  That tightened up the shift tremendously.  I've got to put a halfshaft on the left side.  That's next project.  Once I get that done she will start her next life as my daily driver.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »

My daughter is driving my red 91 xr2, she hated shifting, she now loves it!
The cruise control could be the switch at the clutch.  It deactivates cruise when you press the clutch, good idea.
The little plate on the clutch that presses on the switch has a hole in it, and after awhile the switch button wears and just slips through that hole, making the cruise computer think the clutch is pressed.  Tape a penny or something across the hole to fix it.  I don't know why they put a hole there...

Make sure you get the correct half-shaft, the ones for the non-turbo are different.

The last left halfshaft I installed had a metal holding ring made from metal that was too thick.. the shaft just refused to seat.  I re-used the ring off the old one (was told that's a no-no) and it went on fine then.

Sounds like very little to do to have a decent daily driver... have fun...Chris

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »

Hey Blueamber, thanks for the headsup on the retaining ring.  Do you have a recommendation on the where to the halfshaft?

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »

I've bought half-shafts from ebay and from Autozone, kind of following price and availability.  The one from autozone had the too-thick ring.  But will ebay have a crappy part and Autozone change suppliers in the future... of course.  Fortunately I haven't had to buy enough 1/2 shafts to be a consumer expert... Chris