TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: torque questions  (Read 3881 times)

kelly270

• http://na
torque questions
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Hey guys heres a question... As you know, I'm rebuilding the engine I bought. I need to know if the things I'm doing will not only increase the HP but increase the torque as well. I don't want ot lose any tork, as  we speak, the bottom end is undergoing a balancing, with new rings and bearings, new front and rear main seals, thrust bearings, and all gaskets, ect.
the head is undergoing a full porting and polishing of all neccessary things, all new gaskets, ect. It will be put on a flow machine. The guys working on these pieces are go-to race builders. I have confidance in these guys, but... I know that alot of you guys have taken these motors to the extreme. I was just looking for input on what else to do to help out with the build.
I have bought all the best parts. ARP head stud kit, conetic head gasket, mazda speed high flow oil pump, top of the line timing gears and a gates racing belt. lots of other parts and pieces. Is there anything else that can go in the engine to help, not only with the HP but also with torque?? Should I be looking at changing the whole distributer, oh yeah- rewired the fuel pump, and I will send out the entire throttle body for cleaning. After much research and reading allmost every article on this forum, I think I'm doing it correct????? Any input will be greatly appreciated and sorted out.
Thank guys (gettin' closer)
Does anyone know a good guy to go to for a custom header?
should I use the mazda 323 distributer or the capri??
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Phillip

torque questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »

"I have bought all the best parts. ARP head stud kit, conetic head gasket, mazda speed high flow oil pump, top of the line timing gears and a gates racing belt."

None of these are going to make any difference in HP or Torque. They will just keep it together when you do.

My experience with porting is that it has a tendency to increase high rpm HP at the expense of bottom end torque.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
torque questions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »

Kelly,

I think you're looking at this from a bit of an incorrect angle.

"horsepower" and "torque" measure the power of the engine. Technically speaking, the *only* thing you're increasing is torque. Horsepower is a relative figure generated from the total torque number across a usuable powerband. HP is calculated from torque, so in increasing TQ you increase HP.

The equation goes:
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
I'm no expert on the subject, so turn to google to better explain it than I can:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=169:torque-horsepower-relationship&catid=24:tech-topics&Itemid=45

Google "Horsepower - Torque Relationship"

So basically all the mods you're doing are increasing the torque and thusly also the HP.
The ratio of Tq. Vs HP numbers for the B6T relies on the engine geometry and is usually pretty fixed, its usually around a 1:1.1 ratio. (I say Geometry - its related to what they call "undersquare or oversquare) its the bore dia vs stroke stroke. The B6T is barely oversquare)
So if you mod your engine to a total of 200ft-lbs of torque you'll probably end up with about 215-220 peak hp. This can vary a bit but from my observations its *fairly* accurate guideline.

Sorry for the words...Anyways:

The distributors internally are identical. I'd run the Capri distributor, the 323 dizzy uses a different plug and would require using the capri dizzy harness on it. Also, the older 323 dizzy's seem to have a problem with the advance weight springs, they snap and let the weights cut the dizzy in half. Use the capri dizzy.

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bhazard

torque questions
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:24:00 AM »

All these mods and you wanna stay on stock engine management? Megasquirt and coil on plug man!
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

kelly270

• http://na
torque questions
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »

yeah, I'm learning things constantly. From what all I've read its all going to boil down to the size of the turbo, thats where the increase will come from. The reason behind all the work is---keeping the thing together and making it last.

Has anyone ever welded on a bare block??? I broke off the transmission bolt mount on the top of the block and have heard mixed things about having it welded back on. The shear amount of heat required will warp the thing???? Is this true??

thanks for all the input and info guys...  buy you a beer when i see ya!!!!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart