TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Security Fuel Pump Cutoff  (Read 5064 times)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Security Fuel Pump Cutoff
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:10 PM »

Hey has anyone put a fuel pump cutoff in their capri? Perhaps the stock ford cutoff can be used/modified?
Anyway, I'd like to have a hidden cutoff switch since the car is parked ok the street usually.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Security Fuel Pump Cutoff
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »

You could switch the fuel pump, ignition, ECM, power relay to name a few. Hidden under the dash would be most convenient. Many will go for the stereo rather than the whole car. That's where a detachable face plate comes in handy. I would opt for a noisy security system over just disabling it. Thank God I live in an area where you can still leave your keys in your car.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

My red XR2 had a 'security switch' in it, that a previous owner installed and I was totally unaware of.

They hid a piece of speaker wire with a switch under the dash. It was wired in series with the ignition coil.

When getting the car running/roadworthy, I thought it was extra un-needed wire, and removed it. I spent ~3 days troubleshooting trying to get the car to start again. I nearly replaced the engine harness. I noticed it at the last second, it was tucked under the fuse box in the engine bay.

This system would have provided a lot of voltage drop to the coil, reducing spark energy. Would not recommend. Extra headaches if you forget about it, or someone else is trying to work on your car.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »

You could install a switch that feeds the ground to the fuel pump rely. This would probably be one of the cheapest, easiest, and safest methods to installing an “anti-theft  switch” .

All you have to do is cut the original ground wire off the fuel pump’s relay that’s located by the ecm. Then connect a single wire to the relay's black wire and run it to your switch and ground the other contact of the switch anywhere nearby.

I do agree with Mitch, theives will steel the stereo and not the entire car.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:21 PM »

Hmm thanks for all the info! I was thinking of going the fuel pump relay route. Although, is there a dedicated fuse for the fuel pump? If I were to park the car for a long period of time, I could always just pull the fuse. I would imagine any thief would just think it's an old broken car.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »

There is no dedicated fuse for the fuel pump.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »

I'd thought about putting an extra ignition coil under the seat, with the hot end going under the fabric. If a thief or 'friend' tries to start your car without disabling the correct switches on/under the dash, they'll get a nasty shock in the ass! hah.

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »

i installed a walbro 255 fuel pump and rewired it directly to my battery with a toggle switch, thicker gauge wire helps you get max power to the pump as well

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »

i installed a walbro 255 fuel pump and rewired it directly to my battery with a toggle switch, thicker gauge wire helps you get max power to the pump as well

Did you wire in a fuse? why not use the stock wiring to trigger a relay? A simple toggle switch really isn't safe

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:05:05 AM »

Oh yeah why don't I just put an inline fuse in one of the wires?