TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Junkyard Intercooler  (Read 7289 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

I've heard of people attempting that setup. Basically running two intercoolers = twice the losses as a single intercooler. Pressure drop, etc, all doubles.

I've read its always best to stick with one large intercooler than to run multiple intercoolers, regardless of series/parallel configurations. The only time it works is when you have a twin-turbo setup, and at which point its not really "two" intercoolers but still one IC per turbo.

Theres been plenty of research on it. Check it out.

IMO - Aim for design efficiency instead of symmetry -

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »

Well, that's all I need to know !
If that's what you recommend then that's what I'll do.  

Thank you very much for your knowledge and insight.

Dave

shoeish

Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »

I got this for my Capri.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250497245622

Pretty inexpensive, looks of high quality, not too heavy, and FAR bigger than the factory FMIC.

fastivab6tg25mr

Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »

i know this thread is about a month old but im running a mitsu sterion front mount intercooler and it works very well.. all aluminum construction. easy to install using dsm/volvo piping and bov pipes.... even in stop and go driving it stays cool to the touch on the inlet side and pretty close to ambient on the outlet side.

as for the intercooler on ebay... i wouldnt trust any product that says "PSi Drop under 0.2. Other Intercooler usually drop 10Psi Some are More" it reminds me of the "racing chips" that instantly gain you "20hp" by running your car at full rich...

shoeish

Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »

Their English/writing/marketing isn't all that great but the quality of the unit is perfect.  At the price I got it for, its especially nice.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »

I had a starion/conquest at one point, its a nice piece - but the piping on it is very small. I noticed a lot of top end gain by swapping from the stock size piping to 2.5" piping. I have one of the chinese intercoolers, the quality is actually really nice, I've been running it for almost 4 years now on many different setups, and to this day aside from the BP swap it was one of the best performance mods I've done.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
Re: Junkyard Intercooler
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »

So if I'm following this correctly, the "top to bottom" IC, like this one, http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front-mount-intercooler/top-to-bottom-intercooler-p-208.html?osCsid=6783a0233c5a45624f0ff5ed9f5d928d , should be a suitable replacement for the stock XR2 IC unit?  I realize it's about twice the height and over twice the width, but is there room in the area where the stock IC is for something like this to fit, and still keep the AC and anything else that's around that area?  The reason I'm asking is I put an FMIC on a Saab 900 classic turbo I used to have, and it was a nightmare.  I had to remove the headlight wiper motors to route the piping, cut up the bumper, and cut up some other metal to get it to fit properly.  I'd rather not have to do that with the XR2. 

If my math is correct, the surface area of the stock IC is about 58 square inches, with a volume around 144 cubic inches.  This bigger IC has a surface area of 237 square inches, with a volume around 830 cubic inches.  So this newer IC has 4 times the surface area and almost 6 times the volume?!  That's gotta do wonders for the charge going to the intake!

I'm probably going to remove the stock airbox and fit a Uni dual stage foam filter on the MAF sensor, and really think hard about this bigger IC.  At "only" $170 for the IC, and probably having to get a pair of straight 2.5" couplers and a pair of 90-degree elbows to connect to the stock soft pipes, this should give a lot of bang for the buck, provided it's not an absolute nightmare to install?   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:54:07 PM by socal1200r »
Pages: 1 [2]