TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Crank doesn’t spin Oil pump  (Read 35 times)

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
Crank doesn’t spin Oil pump
« on: May 03, 2024, 02:54:33 PM »

So I just finished rebuilding my motor not too long ago and in the first startup I noticed it was making no oil pressure. I took apart the oil pump and found that the crank was too small to spin the oil pump. So I bought a new pump thinking that would solve the problem, I bought the Melling pump off rockauto and it still does the same thing, crank is too small to spin the pump. I measured it out with a dial caliper and the flats on my crank measure 1.22” and my oil pump is 1.48”. What are your guy’s thoughts? Do I have an aftermarket crank or some sort of modified crank? See measurements below. https://imgur.com/a/JiKKkel

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Crank doesn’t spin Oil pump
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 08:27:27 AM »

If memory serves correct, the early ('91, early 92) have what's call small nose. The later ones have a large crank. I've never measured them but that may be what your are seeing.
'
Jack Byrd

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 10:15:29 AM »

So I just did a little bit of research and yeah, I have the small nose crank. Where do I go to get an oil pump that fits? I’ve already ordered two new ones from eBay and rockauto and neither of them fit.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:04 AM »

So I just did a little bit of research and yeah, I have the small nose crank. Where do I go to get an oil pump that fits? I’ve already ordered two new ones from eBay and rockauto and neither of them fit.

Oh my goodness, I remember this problem from my rebuild now. So I re-used my OEM oil pump, because I was poor when I did my rebuild and the replacement pumps are expensive. As far as replacements, I was only ever able to find two options. You could go with an OEM Mazda pump from the 90-91 Miata, if you can find it. https://treasurecoastmiata.com/i-23790246-new-oem-90-91-mazda-miata-short-nose-oil-pump-b660-14-100e.html The other option is from a company called Boundary, who makes a high flow pump for the B6 w/short nose crank. https://boundarypumps.com/shop/mazda/1-8l-bp-mazda/bp-1-6l-small-nose-crank-high-flow-billet-oil-pump/

They are both expensive, the aftermarket one significantly so. The Mazda one is a large pain in the ass to find. Whichever one you go with, buy a couple of OEM Mazda front main seals. They suck ass to install properly - I need to drop my oil pan at some point because mines leaking pretty good.