TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Electrical short  (Read 2852 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Electrical short
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »

I have an intermittent short in my electrical system. When it occurs, I get a significant arc when attaching the battery cables.  Most of the time, no short.  What is the best way to go about finding the problem?
Jack Byrd

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
Re: Electrical short
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »

Hi Jack,

I had this happen in another vehicle once upon a time.

I found a load that didn't shut off, causing the circuit to complete when I put the cable on the terminal.

Perhaps a switch, somewhere, that is not fully disconnecting?

Putting a circuit load tester between the negative battery terminal and its cable to see if you have some kind of load?

I found it by pulling one circuit fuse at a time to isolate the problem.

But, my problem wasn't intermittent...yikes!

The last similar problem in my Capri was under the carpet alongside the transmission tunnel, a wire that lost its insulation grounding on the tunnel...that was expensive...

Good luck!

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »

Thanks Steve, the only short I've had was a bad alternator. It charged fine, but had an internal short.
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »

This might sounds like a dumb question, but was your door open?   I had recently left the door open while replacing the battery in the wife's 94 and the inside light drew an arc when I put down the negative cable.   Startled me, then I realized the door was still open.
John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »

This might sounds like a dumb question, but was your door open?   I had recently left the door open while replacing the battery in the wife's 94 and the inside light drew an arc when I put down the negative cable.   Startled me, then I realized the door was still open.

Not really a dumb question, but it doesn't matter because my interior lights are burned out and I've never replaced the bulbs.
Jack Byrd